Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Kings Liverpool Regiment badge identification

John Corris

I am hoping someone can help me identify my grandfathers cap badge in the photo.

He was private John Caesar Corris service no 40875 with the Kings Liverpool Regiment labour corps unit 727. The photograph was taken at the Royal Victoria hospital Netly in 1919. regards John.2027369009_PhotoJohnCaesarCorris(2).jpg.0d5d70149ae58c4ef41f6b2150123c20.jpg

I presume your grandfather is the one standing behind?

The two men seated do not have KLR cap badges.

The one on the left has a star (Possibly ASC), the one on the right is roundish and could be Royal Engineers.

The KLR had different badges for different battalions, and the image presented makes it hard to identify which, if any it matches.

Could you post a higher resolution scan of that cap badge, as that will give a definitive answer?

Usually, the KLR had a horse on the crest, the Liverpool Irish battalion had a harp, but some (?Pals) battalions have "The Eagle and Child).

(It doesn't look anything like an eagle, which have short necks generally, it has a long neck and looks more like a Liver bird, or a cormorant, but that's beside the point)...

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately i can not improve the picture. He is defiantly not the soldier on the right the soldier at the back has a badge the same as the KLR 20th battalion. The last soldier has a badge similar to the KLR 7th battalion Manx volunteers and he was from the Isle of Man, 

• Admin

Man standing is either KSLI or DLI I reckon. Look like British West Indies Regiment and possibly Irish Guards 

Michelle 

I second Michelle’s excellent ID.  KSLI, Irish Guards, and WIR.

E550D8EB-5119-4277-836E-80DC9139FDB6.png

30FA31ED-188A-429F-80B6-D19D4D78E91E.jpeg

784033A1-D015-44F9-B7D9-801CBA3ED270.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looking at the medal records for John Caesar Corris:

b 1876 so among the older men serving

62680 King's Liverpool Regiment

then 40875 Labour Corps

The medal roll shows a large number of men with nearby King's numbers also transferred, so possibly originally in a Labour Battalion of King's that was transferred as a whole to the Labour Corps 

BWM and VM but no star

From Isle of Man

Silver War Badge - discharged sick 9 Sep 1919 still in Labour corps

Thank you gentlemen for the information my grandfather was discharged due to being gassed and died aged 38. I will check with the IOM museum as it is the only surviving picture of him regards John.

Just a proposition, but if he was King's Regiment, could it be the 6th (Rifle) Battalion? The badge is too indistinct to identify which LI bugle horn it is, but I don't think 6th Kings can be discounted.

Ruled out because the 6th Bn King’s badge was black and quite distinctive Steven.  None of the three men are wearing any kind of King’s Regiment badge.  Michelle was very accurate.

6729F7CE-DC8A-4526-B642-B5B693C91863.jpeg

7E003FD6-C9CD-440B-A13E-5061E66192B0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
11 hours ago, John Corris said:

Thank you gentlemen for the information my grandfather was discharged due to being gassed and died aged 38. I will check with the IOM museum as it is the only surviving picture of him regards John.

Last week I was a fella, this week I'm a gentleman.:blink:

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Clearly eyes not as sharp as yours Michelle 😉

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

OK, then. Which would you rather be: fella or gentleman?

Personally, I like being a Chap.

17 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

OK, then. Which would you rather be: fella or gentleman?

Personally, I like being a Chap.

Perhaps Michelle can be a chapess 😜👍

On 17/03/2019 at 14:45, John Corris said:

. 2027369009_PhotoJohnCaesarCorris(2).jpg.0d5d70149ae58c4ef41f6b2150123c20.jpg

2027369009_PhotoJohnCaesarCorris(3).jpg

8 hours ago, John Corris said:

Thanks again ladies and gentlemen 

If one of the three is without any chance of mistaken ID your man then bear in mind that soldiers were often moved between regiments after recovery from wounds.  You would need to see a record of his service, or an MIC that showed every unit, which isn’t always the case.

Edited by FROGSMILE