Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Shawe, Rifle Brigade & NZ Div.

stiletto_33853

Wonder if anyone can assist me with this gentleman.

Educated Eton & RMC Sandhurst. Gazetted Rifle Brigade 13th July 1898, posted to 3rd RB in India. 1908 appointed A.D.C. to General The Rt. Hon Neville Littleton until 1912 in which year he became Military Secretary to the Governor General of New Zealand.

He retired in 1913 but soon after the outbreak of WW1 he joined the New Zealand Expeditionary Force, present at the landing as Anzac Cove. Later in the war he was at the War Office and was there twice given brevet promotion and in 1919 awarded the C. B. E. 

Married Christabel of Long Beach, New Zealand, 2 sons & 1 daughter, lost his eldest son in WW2. Died at his family home in Frome, Somerset 9/2/51

I believe he was on Lord Liverpool's staff and know his RB service quite well. Trying to tidy up those officers/men that served in other theatres to the Western Front (not that many). Hence any help with his service on Gallipoli and with the NZ Forces would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 12.42.05.png

Thank you Alf,

Completed my bio on this officer and filled the holes in his service. Much appreciated.Two today, one in Mespot, Indian unattached list, ended up as Deputy Superintendent at Basra and later Baghdad jails (thanks to Mark's detective skills).

Anyone aware of any Egyptian Army, Nigerian Regiment & Gold Coast records online??

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853