Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify recipient of Sevices Rendered Badge

UncleJoe

Could someone please help identify the recipient of the Services Rendered Badge

No. B62684 

A family friend was recently left it by a centenarian Great Aunt but there are no papers or photographs to help identify the relative to whom it was awarded

Many thanks

David

SWB no.62684 (no 'B' in the records, but I assume it's the same) was awarded to 1716 Rifleman Francis Edward Meekings, discharged from the 8th London Regiment on 2nd November 1914 under 'Para 156/11 T.F.R. Sick'. He enlisted on 1 November 1913, and did not serve overseas.

His pension record is also on Ancestry: born 1889 in St Pancras; joined 8th btn City of London (Post Office Rifles) 1 Nov 1913; occupation postman. Embodied 5 Aug 1914, discharged as medically unfit. MArried to Elsie Francis Meekings.

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:50, UncleJoe said:

No. B62684 

A family friend was recently left it by a centenarian Great Aunt but there are no papers or photographs to help identify the relative to whom it was awarded

Many thanks

David

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:28, munce said:

SWB no.62684 (no 'B' in the records, but I assume it's the same) was awarded to 1716 Rifleman Francis Edward Meekings, discharged from the 8th London Regiment on 2nd November 1914 under 'Para 156/11 T.F.R. Sick'. He enlisted on 1 November 1913, and did not serve overseas.

Before you pass the information on David, is it possible to double check the number on the badge, and ideally see an image of it? The letter prefix's are important in differentiating later reissues of the same numbers and also the various branches of the services, nationalities, etc, and Meekings number-only match has me worried at present.

Caryl also has a set of papers on FMP, 4 previous units. Born Liverpool. Quite a bit of detail in his record, medical issues, pensions, service. Served with MEF and in India.

He may of course have other papers/records under his other numbers.

TEW

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:50, UncleJoe said:

No. B6268

8 hours ago, hmsk212 said:

Recipient was 86880 James Caryl of the Royal Defence Corps.

4 hours ago, TEW said:

Caryl also has a set of papers on FMP, 4 previous units. Born Liverpool. Quite a bit of detail in his record, medical issues, pensions, service. Served with MEF and in India.

He may of course have other papers/records under his other numbers.

According to the SWB list, Caryl was entitled to SWB number B62644 - not B62684... frustratingly the following pages go literally up in numerical order from B62644 until the page where B62684 would be. But isn't...

James caryl SWB.PNG

Edited by Andrew Upton

Badge number B62684 issued to 183580 Spr. Alfred Johnson, Royal Engineers. Seems the page has been incorrectly transcribed as B61*** numbers due to the top most entry having a very sloppily written 2. Praise due to my mother who ploughed through various books until she found the right one:

Alfred Johnson RE 2.PNG

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thank you all for your help and special mention to Andrew's mother for her persistence it's very much appreciated. 

Regards

David

Can't see any service/pension files type records for him, he had another number though.

Medal rolls show in sequence;

RE 183580

Hampshires 41494

RE 183580

Can only find discharge card on ancestry, normal MIC is on TNA or The Genealogist.

TEW

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2019 at 11:43, TEW said:

Can't see any service/pension files type records for him, he had another number though.

Medal rolls show in sequence;

RE 183580

Hampshires 41494

RE 183580

Can only find discharge card on ancestry, normal MIC is on TNA or The Genealogist.

TEW

My apologies for not replying earlier, life getting in the way. Thank you for the information I'll get the MIC.

Regards 

David