Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BOOK SEARCH, CONTEMPORARY ACCOUNT

7Y&LP

Hello, I am hoping the combined knowledge of GWF members can help me. Many years ago I read a paperback book written by an American, either a reporter or member of the Red Cross, about his experiences in the Balkans c1915.   As an American he was able to travel on both sides of the lines and wrote about his experiences amongst Bulgars, Turks, Armenians, Cossaks, Britains and French. The book did not have any photos but was illustrated with his black and white drawings (one of a crowd of POWs sticks in my mind). I was under the impression that the book was called 'The War in the East;' but a search of the internet, the GWF and the bibliographies of the Prit Buttar quartet and The Vanquished by Robert Gerwarth has produced a resounding blank. I read the book in the early 1990's and it looked as if it had been printed (or re-printed) recently, possibly published in America. Do any of you have any suggestions as to the author and title of this account, does it ring any bells ?  I look forward to your replies and hope you can help.

John Reed, better known as the author of ‘Ten Days that Shook the World”, a history of the Bolshevik Revolution. The book is in fact called, ‘The War in the East,. I have a copy.

Edited by Hedley Malloch

Many thanks Gentlemen, I now know what to look for,