Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help finding a Mention in Despatches in London Gazette.

adam1981

Robert Kerr Fletcher starts the war as 1837 Lance Corporal Scottish Rifles before commissioned and serving as Second Lieutenant, Lieutenant and Captain with the Machine Gun Corps. The medal index card states 'Emb in EF 6/5892', does this mean an Emblem as in MID? 

I have had no look finding it in the London Gazette.

Thanks

Edited by adam1981

Hi Adam

According to the Long, Long Trail.How to interpret a campaign medal index card. It does mean a Mention in Despatches.

ttps://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/how-to-interpret-a-campaign-medal-index-card/

He was born 1890, buried Ford Road Cemetery, Crieff, Perthshire. died  14.12.1963, wife was Mabel Caroline Chaplain 23.3.1908 -17.7.1984. Married 5.9.1946.

29.9.1919 a student, aged 29 yrs on board Saturnia from Montreal to Glasgow Address as on MIC.

Barry

Edited by The Inspector

I couldn't find him on LG but that may just be me (and LG).

I note that he appears at least twice as wounded in casualty lists:

3rd August 1915  as a Cpl, 7th Bn Cameronians.

23rd April 1918  as Lieut, Machine Gun Corps.

I mention these in case his MiD is related and it may help narrow down dates ?

Charlie

its not that uncommon to have emb on the mic yet not find anything in the London gazette

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

its not that uncommon to have emb on the mic yet not find anything in the London gazette

why is this ?

There's a reference in a much later issue of the LG with his number as 106093 ( November 21st 1939 ) and several promotions references but i couldn't find any mention of despatches

There is no listing for him in "Honour Those Mentioned in the Great War - Mentions in Despatches 1914 - 1920" by Michael Maton, a three volume set of the Mentions in Despatches published in the London Gazette for the years stated.

Thanks for all the great assistance as usual, and the extra information regarding being wounded and WW2 service. 

Harry brook, it looks like that is conclusive if he is not in those books. Maybe he claimed an MID which is why it is annotated on the MIC

I suppose his papers may clear it up, but obviously has the extra cost.

On 17/03/2019 at 14:12, charlie962 said:

why is this ?

Mistakes happened due to millions of records,  this is the 2nd example I've seen this week for this happening.