Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification help required please

Robert Wimpenny

Just for the record, the 2 CWGC cemeteries near St Martin sur Cojeul both started in April 1917 and have unidentified men.

Max

On 17/03/2019 at 19:12, MaxD said:

I may have a theory about the interment using clues from the war diary.  The last positions before his death were in the area of Henin sur Cojeul to the south east of Neuville Vitasse.  Just up the road and no more than 1000 yards from where the battery was in early May is the small village of St Martin sur Cojeul in which there is a church marked on the trench map.  Given the confusion of reports coming back to the family in the midst of the war, I wonder whether "Menin St Martin Arras" could be a garbled version of that village?  Arras is seven miles away and the battle of Arras was in full swing when he died.  I believe that "Monchy Mill" is also garbled,  the place is a long way from any location of the battery but there is another Monchy (Monchy  le Preux) much nearer.

It has be borne in mind that information coming back home while the war was still on was essentially unofficial and not always to be relied upon.  His record shows that the RGA record office didn't have a location for his burial in 1919.

More work to do on the diary but meanwhile worth reading are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/174th_Siege_Battery%2C_Royal_Garrison_Artillery#cite_note-BeckeThird-5

and 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arras_(1917) in which the battery was fully involved as one of the supporting batteries

Max

Here are two fragments from the "Body Density" series showing cemeteries, some of which no longer exist. They may give a helpful clue.

Howard

Henin2.jpg

Henin1.jpg

On 17/03/2019 at 19:12, MaxD said:

Just up the road and no more than 1000 yards from where the battery was in early May is the small village of St Martin sur Cojeul in which there is a church marked on the trench map.  Given the confusion of reports coming back to the family in the midst of the war, I wonder whether "Menin St Martin Arras" could be a garbled version of that village? 

I would have thought that 'Menin' is a mis-spelling of 'Henin', and that the writer meant to write the address as 'Henin, St.Martin, Arras', meaning Henin, near St. Martin, near Arras.

Thank you Howard.  I think the evidence -  contemporary newspaper report referring to interment and giving the cemetery name (an albeit slightly garbled version) - effects returned to his family 3 months after his death, last known position in square T4, argues strongly that he was buried in either St Martin Calvaire or Cojeul British Cemetery.  His grave marker and records of the location were subsequently lost and he is one of the unidentified in one or the other.

Thank you for your interest.

Max 

Dai Bach - thank you.  My thought about Menin was the same but that it was St Martin near Henin that was meant (earlier post).  What I hadn't put on the thread was that the last position of the battery was in square T4 which points rather to the two cemeteries in/near St Martin rather than in Henin 

Max

Edited by MaxD

The Information I am recieving and the maps also are really really helpfull (Big understatement)

from Harry Roberts having no known grave to pretty much a certainty as to being in one of the 2 cemetries listed is Incredible.

On behalf of my Family and myself I wish to say a big thank you to everyone who took time to read my original post and  to those who have actually committed time and effort into finding what I never could possibly have found.

the understanding of Military terms, deciphering documents, and analysing maps  .....!!! Is way out of my knowledge and comfort zone.

cannot Imagine much more could now be discovered ?

still havent Identified the photo in the original post, thought It was Clarence (Harrys brother) possibly Harry ? or maybe another relative.

The fact that the post kind of went off in a tangent and throw up this Harry stuff is beyond my wildest dreams.

To save duplication of effort, I have provided the OP direct with links to medal card and rolls, effects register, service record for Harry and medal card and rolls for Clarence together with location maps related to the war diary plus some Wiki pieces on 174 SB and the Battle of Arras.

Robert - War diary summary and notes on the way direct.

Max

Well done Max, I am sure Robert and his family will be very pleased.

Howard