Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jools mckenna

Examples of helmet covers of all WW1 nations.

Jools mckenna

Has anyone got any examples of these unofficial, soldier made helmet covers? I've got 2 pictures of them and would love to see some more examples of these 'trench' made items. I know there were issued covers but I'm more interested in the unofficial versions and their construction. 

Scan0049.jpg

Scan0109.jpg

hemet cover.jpg

wainfleet

Be very wary of helmet covers! A mini cottage industry is turning these out along with tank masks, tank helmets, aircraft fabric etc. Forum rules prevent me from elaborating but most collectors know the handful of rogues doing it. Any purported WW1 helmet cover without convincing provenance should be treated with extreme suspicion. Genuine examples are very scarce, yet a considerable number have appeared on ebay in the past couple of years, seemingly out of nowhere. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Some nice detail on the top photo besides the cover: ammunition bandolier poking out of pattern 1914 pouches, equipment straps folded back on themselves, groundsheet under arm, artily-crossed puttees, two different types of jacket.

Jools mckenna
8 minutes ago, wainfleet said:

Be very wary of helmet covers! A mini cottage industry is turning these out along with tank masks, tank helmets, aircraft fabric etc. Forum rules prevent me from elaborating but most collectors know the handful of rogues doing it. Any purported WW1 helmet cover without convincing provenance should be treated with extreme suspicion. Genuine examples are very scarce, yet a considerable number have appeared on ebay in the past couple of years, seemingly out of nowhere. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

I know about the massive amounts of fakes, so I'm interested,in particular, in seeing photos of them as they are hard to fake.

Edited by Jools mckenna

clarke

Hi Jools mckenna 

Australian War Memorial has these two examples, worn by members of the 47th and 29th Bn respectfully. 

47th Bn Helmet.JPG

29th BN.JPG