Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant Harry Wild 1st East Lancashire Regiment - Gavrelle April 1917

I'm visiting Arras in June with the intention of retracing my grandfather's last trip from when he was wounded apparently consolidating the capture of Effie trench near Gavrelle with 1st. E. Lancs regiment, to where he died and is buried at the Casualty Clearing Station at Aubigny-en-Artois. I'm particularly keen to view any trench maps of the Gavrelle area as well as info on how casualties were evacuated, as I gather there may have been a light railway involved?

He was Serjeant Harry Wild of Padiham, Lancs. I have the regimental diary of the time and know the 1st E. Lancs were a reserve battalion which left from Maroeuil at dawn on 9th April and apparently entered the line to replace a Scottish regiment after the initial attack. There the trail ends but i'm thirsty for knowledge so all contributions gratefully received.

Thanks

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Mike. Effie is sheet 51b NW3 Arras/4 Fampoux. Attached is an image from Topography of Armageddon Peter Chasseaud. You can see Effie Trench running from Point du Jour. See also here

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A71329

IMG_1701.JPG

Mike

Welcome

There is more information including maps and instructions regarding evacuation of wounded in the War Diaries of 11 Infantry Brigade (WO 95/1491/1-5) and 4 Div HQ General Staff (WO 95/1446/1-4) respectively. The Register of Soldier's Effects records that he died at 30 CCS. on 12/04/1917.

Brian

EDIT: It's a while since I visited the Lancashire Infantry Museum at Fulwood Barracks, Preston but there may be something worth seeing there. 

Edited by brianmorris547

• spof changed the title to Serjeant Harry Wild 1st East Lancashire Regiment - Gavrelle April 1917