Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvt Williaim Tweedie 1837 4th SAI KIA 19 July 1916. Information Please

ATNOMIS

Pals

Any details on William Tweedie 1837 4Batt AS Infanrty? I have South African War Graves Project

Thanks In Advance

Simon

Name:
TWEEDIE
Given Name:
WILLIAM
Initials:
W
Service No:
Private

Regiment:
South African Infantry

Unit:
4th Regt.

Unit 2:
"C" Coy.

Date of Death:
1916-07-19

Cause of Death:
Killed in action, at Delville Wood
Additional
Information:
Son of William Scott Tweedie, of Wanderers View, Johannesburg

• Admin

Simon

Soldier's Effects (courtesy Ancestry)

image.png.f4c506ee6578a5450dfd1d749840d7a7.png

He is listed in the South African Military Index 1853 -2004 but the only info from that you haven't got is a "serial number" of 9240 - His "Force number" is as you have it 1837.

Regards

David

Just a little bit of background - the father, William Scott Tweedie, was born c1869 in Scotland.  His address, upon his death in 1939, was 23 Bouquet Street. He was described as a military pensioner. 

In 1916, his address was 81 Stiemen's Street, Wanderers View

Tweedie.jpg.7726adb9a8025e11e958616f5a46d91d.jpg

The war diary of 4th SA Infantry is at the National Archives WO 95/1785 (also to be found on Ancestry).  The action at Delville Wood is recorded in reasonable detail.

Max

• Admin

There is a Pte W Tweedie 5815  (and for that matter a Pte M Tweedie 5814) eligible for the QSA and 1901 clasp having both served in the 42nd Company 12th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. A second document has W. Tweedie as a Lieut. - overwritten on the Pte. and the clasps both are entitled to are Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal.

There is also another (presumably different) Pte W. Tweedie 32685 of 108th Company Imperial Yeomanry also eligible for 1901/2 clasps on QSA. This soldier's clasp entitlements were Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvan (sic).

Then there is Bugler W Tweedie 2734 5th Bn Royal Irish Rifles entitled to QSA with Cape Colony and Orange Free State clasps. It may be worth noting that a Captain W Tweedie 289566 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers  was entitled to a 1945 Palestine clasp whether it is the same man is unknown.

Then to cap it all off there is a medal roll detailing a "List of medals returned by the Major General i/c Aministration S.A." referring to the Klerkedorp Town Guard which features on the list one Pte W. Tweedie (no number listed). The list is dated 21.4.11 and the Note at the bottom of the page reads "Brought to charge on C.V. No 7 dated 21-5-1911" (I am unsure what that means). Another related document showing the eligibility was for the Transvaal clasp and on that record he is shown as W. Tweedie Jr (Junior). That record shows the medal returned on 15.5.11. Not all the recipients on the latter list had their medals returned.

Finally on the rolls there is a Pte W Tweedie 99 of New South Wales Mounted Rifles entitled to the QSA and Paardeberg and Relief of Kimberley clasps.

A number of possibilities then?

BTW There was a Major General W Tweedie around in Africa from presumably as early as 1869 (as a lowly Lieutenant) through to still being on the Army Lists in 1912 - but I am guessing it wasn't him.

Edited by DavidOwen

On 17/03/2019 at 14:20, DavidOwen said:

There is a Pte W Tweedie 5815  (and for that matter a Pte M Tweedie 5814) eligible for the QSA and 1901 clasp having both served in the 42nd Company 12th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. A second document has W. Tweedie as a Lieut. - overwritten on the Pte. and the clasps both are entitled to are Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal.

There is also another (presumably different) Pte W. Tweedie 32685 of 108th Company Imperial Yeomanry also eligible for 1901/2 clasps on QSA. This soldier's clasp entitlements were Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvan (sic).

Then there is Bugler W Tweedie 2734 5th Bn Royal Irish Rifles entitled to QSA with Cape Colony and Orange Free State clasps. It may be worth noting that a Captain W Tweedie 289566 2nd Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers  was entitled to a 1945 Palestine clasp whether it is the same man is unknown.

Then to cap it all off there is a medal roll detailing a "List of medals returned by the Major General i/c Aministration S.A." referring to the Klerkedorp Town Guard which features on the list one Pte W. Tweedie (no number listed). The list is dated 21.4.11 and the Note at the bottom of the page reads "Brought to charge on C.V. No 7 dated 21-5-1911" (I am unsure what that means). Another related document showing the eligibility was for the Transvaal clasp and on that record he is shown as W. Tweedie Jr (Junior). That record shows the medal returned on 15.5.11. Not all the recipients on the latter list had their medals returned.

Finally on the rolls there is a Pte W Tweedie 99 of New South Wales Mounted Rifles entitled to the QSA and Paardeberg and Relief of Kimberley clasps.

A number of possibilities then?

BTW There was a Major General W Tweedie around in Africa from presumably as early as 1869 (as a lowly Lieutenant) through to still being on the Army Lists in 1912 - but I am guessing it wasn't him.

David

Gives me something to look into.

Many Thanks for your time and post

Simon

• 6 months later...

On 17/03/2019 at 14:20, DavidOwen said:

Hi;

One of my (bad) habits for quiet spells at work is to flick through a days paper from the Daily Telegraph Archive . Earlier this week I came across a short obituary (Page 5) for Major-General Tweedie. I've since done some research on him - he didn't have a Wikipedia article so I created one - when back at home(!) ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tweedie ). Your Tweedie is not a direct relation, as the Maj.Gen died without issue.

Edited by dseagull