Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Badge & Unit

Pesche

Can anyone help me identify the badge on my grandfather Henry Charles Miles's military cap (see enclosed picture)?

I don't know what unit he served in, and where. He was born in 1899, so may just about have served towards the end of the war.

He is wearing the same uniform in a picture he inscribed with "Alexandria, Egypt, 25 July 1919".

I have unsuccessfully searched for his service record.

Many thanks,

Pesche

Badge 2.JPG

Edited by Pesche
Misspelling

Just for interest, could you show the whole picture?

Can I also ask:

Would personnel have retained their orginal service number if they were listed as reservists during WW2"?

My grandfather's was: 1463798

I have only managed to obtain his service record for as a reservist for WW2.

3 minutes ago, Pesche said:

Can I also ask:

Would personnel have retained their orginal service number if they were listed as reservists during WW2"?

My grandfather's was: 1463798

I have only managed to obtain his service record for as a reservist for WW2.

Hi, 

7 figure numbers were introduced after the Great War;  the number 1463798 was issued when he enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1938. 

Mate,

The 1 Garrison Bn of the Warwickshire Regt was in the Cairo area during the war. A number joined the Camel Corps while there.

Here a few names of these men;

Lyth    A or James    13567    Pte    att CC (possibly ECC) Sudan Medal 1910 bar Dufar 1916 Ex 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt
McBride    James    13512    Sgt    att CC (possibly ECC) Sudan Medal 1910 bar Dufar 1916 Ex 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt
Mealing    Albert    13575    L/Cpl    att CC (possibly ECC) Sudan Medal 1910 bar Dufar 1916 Ex Gloucestershire Regt to 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt
Mokes    Alonzo    19122    L/Sgt    att CC (possibly ECC) Sudan Medal 1910 bar Dufar 1916 Ex Grenadier Guards (12061) to 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt to Worcester Regt (72449)
Painter    Reginald Walter Richard     13578    Pte    shown att 5Co 7-17 att Newcombes Force Pow 2-11-17 Ex 1Bn Gloucester Regt (9814) WIA 4-11-14 F&B to 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt (13578) to 1/4 Cheshire Regt (62978) 
Parker    George T.    13962    L/Cpl    att CC (possibly ECC) Sudan Medal 1910 bar Dufar 1916 Ex 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt
Pick    Charles W.    13064    Pte    att CC (possibly ECC) Sudan Medal 1910 bar Dufar 1916 Ex 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt
Poyer    David J    13629    Pte    possibly att 5Co 7-17 att Newcombes Force Pow 2-11-17 Ex 1 Gar Bn Royal Warwick Regt to 1/4 Cheshire Regt (63032)

Cheers

S.B

Many thanks GWF1967 and stevebecker.

This is all very helpful.

If the MoD has no records (they only have them from 1938 onwards for him), is there any chance of finding anything in the National Archives?

1 hour ago, Pesche said:

Sure!

here it is

Whole Image.JPG

Thanks!

1774296027_WholeImage.JPG.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

1 minute ago, Pesche said:

Lovely enhancement!

Thanks. Hope I got the eye colour correct... 

13 hours ago, Pesche said:

And Craig, many thanks!

What would the Royal Warwickshire's deployment have been throughout and after WW1?

If you look at the header on the Home Page, you will see a link, 'Long, Long Trail'. Click on that and you will find lots of facts about the Royal Warwicks.

As he's not wearing territorial-style shoulder titles it is unlikely (though nt impossible) he wasn't a territorial. As Steve Beker says, the 1st Garrison Battalion was in Egypt, but other battalions were out east and may well have transited through Egypt en route for home after the war. I suggest he looks too fit (if a photo can tell such things) and healthy to bei in a Garrison Battlion, which was generally the preserve of older, unfitter, chaps.

Thanks Steven!

Are you saying (am a bit confused by the double negatives :)) he probably WASN'T a Territorial? And if he wasn't in a Garrison batallion, he might have seen action further east?

I'm beginning to think he was in the 9th Batallion. Problem is: where can I confirm that, with all the records burnt or lost?

Have you tried the medal rolls? They sometimes.   give a man's battalion(s) for his overseas service. Available via Ancestry; you might pick him up by searching R. Warks records using his name.

15 hours ago, Pesche said:

Thanks Steven!

Are you saying (am a bit confused by the double negatives :)) he probably WASN'T a Territorial? And if he wasn't in a Garrison batallion, he might have seen action further east?

I'm beginning to think he was in the 9th Batallion. Problem is: where can I confirm that, with all the records burnt or lost?

I suspect he's NOT a territorial, and may well NOT have been in a Garrison battalion.

Have you checked any medal cards to see what medals he received (if any)?

That would tell us if he served overseas, and also (possibly) which theatre he served in.

Is it possible, if you were in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, to have served in different batallions at different times during and just after WW1?

In addition to the photograph on which my Granddad had written "Alexandria, Egypt, 15 July 1919", we have found another one with him in uniform (no cap), on the back of which someone has written "in France", but it's undated.

My grandfather was born in 1899, so would have been conscripted in 1917, I presume, but may have volunteered earlier, and I don't know how old you had to be to volunteer.

I have so far found no reference to any medals in my searches. 

34 minutes ago, Pesche said:

Is it possible, if you were in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, to have served in different batallions at different times during and just after WW1?

Yes, and even in different regiments. Does the bare-headed picture show anything else - shoulder titles, sleeve badges, etc?

1 hour ago, Pesche said:

I don't think so...645826052_BareHeadpossiblyinFrance.PNG.187ccd846013cfd5b8771f326d2d8b9b.PNG

There is a curved shoulder title; Any chance of a close up?

Blowing it up just blurs it. No better than magnifying the one attached, I'm afraid.

In fact, I think it's the same shoulder title as the one in the picture that Jools enhanced.