Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment and the Hedge Street Tunnel Fire, Ypres - 5th January 1918

TullochArd

Brigadier F.C. Stanley writes in History of the 89th Brigade, (Page 223-224): “The (21st Bde/30 Div) Brigade was holding Torr-Tops (sic), and the right battalion lived in an extensive system of mined galleries, which became inevitably crowded with troops and stores. This place was to be the subject, some months later, of a terrible tragedy. For some unknown reason the whole place caught fire, and in a few minutes was completely burnt out."  He goes on to state the death toll included “several officers” (it appears to be 21 - 12 ORs and 9 officers) - all from "2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment" (actually 2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment - but both from 21st Bde/30 Div) - and some Bde Staff.  Major (QM) Edward Pickard later recorded the definitive report on the tragedy http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk/html-files/soldiers-photos/camm-bertram.htm and added a "Church of England Brigade Chaplain"  (who is identified by Brigadier Stanley as "the Rev. C. Moore, C.F., who used to be with the 20th Battalion K.L.R.") and "one officer of the Royal Engineers", not yet identified, and Medical Officer, Lt Picken (there are several Lt Picken's RAMC) also not identified but known to have survived the fire to the casualties.  Has anyone ever come across who this RE Officer might be or found out or who Lt Picken was serving with? I have failed completely on both counts. Also, might this be worth following up .....the graves of the bulk of the casualties (Railway Dugouts 5 - 7 Jan 1918) are grouped with a LCpl and two Privates of the 19th Manchester Regiment recorded as died on the same day.  I know Battalions often exchanged signallers/runners in defence and could it be possible that these three were from the forward left Battalion at Torr-Tops(sic) and were caught in the fire? Appreciate any steers from the "Brains Trust"

Edited by TullochArd
Poor punctuation. "Must try harder. 6/10"

TA,

The court of enquiry by 21 Brigade can be found in the unit diary on Ancestry (if you subscribe) - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2328_0-00000?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing&lang=en-GB#?imageId=43112_2328_0-00233

This account does not mention an RE officer - he may have been missing but turned up later.  The KSLI officer in the Pickard account changes to a DCLI officer in the account above - the 7th DCLI diary names this as 2Lt Benford being killed who was there with the advance party, presumably prior to the relief. 

Kind regards

Colin

24 minutes ago, Colin W Taylor said:

TA,

The court of enquiry by 21 Brigade can be found in the unit diary on Ancestry (if you subscribe) - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_2328_0-00000?backurl=https%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d60779%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing&lang=en-GB#?imageId=43112_2328_0-00233

This account does not mention an RE officer - he may have been missing but turned up later.  The KSLI officer in the Pickard account changes to a DCLI officer in the account above - the 7th DCLI diary names this as 2Lt Benford being killed who was there with the advance party, presumably prior to the relief. 

Kind regards

Colin

Appreciated Colin,  That is an excellent steer and where I will now be heading.  Regards and thanks.  Ian

TA,

The officer files in the WO339 series at the Nation Archives for the officers who would killed might include separate details of the court of enquiry or possibly information as to the last sighting of them alive.  The report at the link above looks like a version to be passed up the chain of command minus some of the detail that might be expected.  Often, similar enquiries include statements from survivors or more technical details.  The 30 Division HQ Administration war diary may include some additional information.  I cannot see anything obvious in the Commander RE war diary or for two of the divisional RE field company diaries (200 and 201 Coys; I don't have 202nd Fd Coy) which might mention the RE officer.  There is no obvious mention in the 20th Division CRE of Fd Coy diaries regarding the re-opening of the tunnels or whether they were repaired.

I wrote an article on a similar tragic event in the Ypres Ramparts where the forward HQ of 33 Division was gutted by a fire and a number of officers and men lost their lives; this only happened in mid-December 1917 and lessons may not have been learnt.  

A book was written recently on the Australian company (Supporting Tunnelling Operations by Damien Finlayson) which provided the detachments to run the generators in the different dugout complexes around Ypres.  The fire and the fact that the electrical lighting was blamed may be mentioned in the book or the author might have move information; I do not have a copy to look this up though.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supporting-Tunnelling-Operations-Great-War-ebook/dp/B07JVWLH45/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=alphabet+company+tunnelling&qid=1552738190&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull .  This is not a plug but a means of getting the details if you want to get a copy through inter-library loans. 

I hope this helps

Regards

Colin

11 hours ago, Colin W Taylor said:

TA,

The officer files in the WO339 series at the Nation Archives for the officers who would killed might include separate details of the court of enquiry or possibly information as to the last sighting of them alive.  The report at the link above looks like a version to be passed up the chain of command minus some of the detail that might be expected.  Often, similar enquiries include statements from survivors or more technical details.  The 30 Division HQ Administration war diary may include some additional information.  I cannot see anything obvious in the Commander RE war diary or for two of the divisional RE field company diaries (200 and 201 Coys; I don't have 202nd Fd Coy) which might mention the RE officer.  There is no obvious mention in the 20th Division CRE of Fd Coy diaries regarding the re-opening of the tunnels or whether they were repaired.

I wrote an article on a similar tragic event in the Ypres Ramparts where the forward HQ of 33 Division was gutted by a fire and a number of officers and men lost their lives; this only happened in mid-December 1917 and lessons may not have been learnt.  

A book was written recently on the Australian company (Supporting Tunnelling Operations by Damien Finlayson) which provided the detachments to run the generators in the different dugout complexes around Ypres.  The fire and the fact that the electrical lighting was blamed may be mentioned in the book or the author might have move information; I do not have a copy to look this up though.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supporting-Tunnelling-Operations-Great-War-ebook/dp/B07JVWLH45/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=alphabet+company+tunnelling&qid=1552738190&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull .  This is not a plug but a means of getting the details if you want to get a copy through inter-library loans. 

I hope this helps

Regards

Colin

Appreciated Colin.  I'm out of country at the moment but will follow up on your most informative steer on return and report back.  Many thanks.  Ian.