Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Trench maps Montmédy & Somme-Py

eisenbahn.tv

Hello,

for a book-project I'm in search of two trench maps. What to be shown:

Montmédy: The Germans bulit a temporarelly railway straight through the village. In the south were huge installations of a narrow-gauge railway. That should be shown.

Somme-Py: A trench map close to 25th August 1918, before the front moves west. Showing the tunnel and the area around.

Anyone a Idea where to get thins? (Scans would do)

Thanks. Gabriel

Hi

have you looked on McMaster?

regards

Jon

Not sure if McMaster would help on this occasion.  Somme-Py (now Sommepy-Tahure) is east of Reims and well outside McMaster's coverage.  Montmedy is east of Rethel and well out of their coverage.  Hope to be wrong ...

index for WWI maps and air photos

Halo,

If it can help, here is a map of the sector held by the 42nd U.S in 1918, unfortunately Sommepy is just out of the map on the top...

What is the tunnel you are looking for ?

https://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/ww1/txu-pclmaps-oclc-6205448-42d-division-esperance-squain-champagne-marne-jul-5-14-15-18.jpg

I'm still looking for other maps in the French archives. 

Regards,

Sly

These maps are very useful. However, I can't print them other than one page size, and they are virtually illegible even with a magnifying glass.

I've tried printing direct from the on-screen picture, from Word, Paint, Paint 3D, and all I get is a one page A4 format. I want them at least twice the size.

Any ideas?

46 minutes ago, healdav said:

These maps are very useful. However, I can't print them other than one page size, and they are virtually illegible even with a magnifying glass.

I've tried printing direct from the on-screen picture, from Word, Paint, Paint 3D, and all I get is a one page A4 format. I want them at least twice the size.

Any ideas?

Perhaps in your printer settings it has an option for "poster"? Some have and it gives you the option to spread an image over several A4 sheets, with edge marks to allow overlapping line up.

18 hours ago, jonbem said:

Perhaps in your printer settings it has an option for "poster"? Some have and it gives you the option to spread an image over several A4 sheets, with edge marks to allow overlapping line up.

Brilliant. Thank you.

Hi Sly,

thanks!

Montmédy is very interressting: We see the new standard gauge line (to avoid the blown up tunnel) coming out of the town at the narrow gauge railway to Verdun.

Somme-Py: Yes the tunnel is to 73-74! The street above the tunnels what called "Engelbrecht Street"

The printig problem: Save the jpg and post it to some online photo service -> poster?

Gabriel

Edited by eisenbahn.tv

Just found another one of Somme-Py, dated October 1918, 174ème Regiment d'Infanterie (French archives - Memoire des Hommes).

The tunnel is bottom right.

Regards,

Sly

458504489_174R_I2.jpg.ff82d7a65023ef198ca87b377562e82d.jpg