Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Bushnell

DutchTommy

Hello

Last saterday, I visited the local museum for a changing exhibition about Scheveningen in the First World War.
I know the stories of the British military’s who were internee in Scheveningen.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060022921

On the small exhibition was a new found photo with the title sergeant Bushnell.
I like to find out more about this sergeant.
Who is he??
What is the story ending up in Scheveningen as an internee, The Netherlands?

Any help is welcome!

Tommy
Scheveningen NL

Eerste-WO-3.jpg.8ca2dfc4cff77751f7352c932c0ae69e.jpg

No expert, but is that cap badge Seaforth Highlanders? 

tommy,

I cant really help a great deal and I am in no way an expert on uniforms but I think your sergeant belonged to the Seaforth Highlanders.

Look forward to seeing what the more knowledgeable members of the forum can find.

just noticed Pat beat me to it!

Simon

Hello Tommy,

Welcome to the forum.

He may be Sgt. Lucius Hamilton Bushnell of the 16th Canadian Scottish. His service records are here https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=79077

There is a POW record for him here  https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search/#/3/2/224/0/British and Commonwealth/Military/bushnell

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
POW record added

Do his garters tell us anything? I just searched Seaforths and16th Canadian Scottish and didn't notice anything similar.

Simon

The Canadian service records show that he was p.o.w. in May 1915, and by March 1918 he was interned in Holland. He was married in Leicester in January 1919.

Regards,

Alf McM

WOW this is great!!
This give me more leads to follow.
I wil contact the museum and the municipal archives so we can give the man on the photo a name.

Many thanks to Alf MCM, Pat Atkins and Mancpal

to be continued...

On 14/03/2019 at 22:17, alf mcm said:

Hello Tommy,

Welcome to the forum.

He may be Sgt. Lucius Hamilton Bushnell of the 16th Canadian Scottish. His service records are here https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=79077

There is a POW record for him here  https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search/#/3/2/224/0/British and Commonwealth/Military/bushnell

Regards,

Alf McM

The glengarry badge in the photo is not that of the 16th Canadians.   Pete.

Prisoners of War who became ill or who were too badly injured to works were often sent to be interned in neutral countries, especially The Netherlands. Capture in 1915 and internment in 1918 suggests that an ordinary illness is more likely.

You might also like to search the index cards of the International Committee of the Red Cross to see if there is a record for him.

Ron

51 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The glengarry badge in the photo is not that of the 16th Canadians.   Pete.

Maybe not ,the 16th Canadians were a composite Highland battalion  comprising of  and including Seaforths ,Cameron Highlanders and Gordon Highlanders 

Link

Ray

The candidate put forward by alf mcm Sgt. Lucius Hamilton Bushnell of the 16th Canadian Scottish

can be found in the nominal roll of 16th Bn .HERE   

He was serious wounded on 13 may 1915.
So the story makes sense.
I also found this photo. Spot the second man top left.

post-85593-0-09921600-1427742814_thumb.jpg

busnell1.JPG

My opinion for what its worth,  not the same soldier

Ray

Edit found a mention of Bushnell in a newspaper report on the internet HERE

Edited by RaySearching

10 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

My opinion for what its worth,  not the same soldier

Ray

This is a overlay photo. Its fits the eyes, nose, big chin. head size, angle hat, ear line. :glare:

1434958859_UltimatePhotoBlenderMixer1932019221946.png.3bdaa2fac12b84aa3289d73fa28cddef.png

Eyebrows, setting of eyes, end of nose and ear shape differ not same soldier but fascinating even so

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A Sergeant Bushnell is mentioned in the war diary of my grandfather, Captain George Macleod, RAMC, Medical Officer with the 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment. On 20 July 1916, at Auchonvillers, he is reported as missing, and there is no sign of him the following day. I'm wondering if this could be the same man.

552031731_19160720wardiaryDrGeorgeMacleod.jpg.9d449182b49212eca8ad54b265a0fd73.jpg

Edited by Reggie98
correct battalion

33 minutes ago, Reggie98 said:

A Sergeant Bushnell is mentioned in the war diary of my grandfather, Captain George Macleod, RAMC, Medical Officer with the 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment. On 20 July 1916, at Auchonvillers, he is reported as missing, and there is no sign of him the following day. I'm wondering if this could be the same man.

552031731_19160720wardiaryDrGeorgeMacleod.jpg.9d449182b49212eca8ad54b265a0fd73.jpg

Why would you think that Reggie, given the difference between the West Riding Regiment uniform and the highland dress of the subject throughout this thread?