Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ineligible for 14 clasp

Michelle Young

• Admin

Fortunately my Great Grandfathers service papers have survived. Ernest John Mildenhall 11Bde RHA. He arrived in France from India 18/11/14. I’m assuming he wasn’t in the firing line by 22/11/14. Would this be the case? He was also mentioned in dispatches. A chronic varicose veins sufferer, he was also reduced to the ranks 3 times. I’ve been sent a copy of his papers today, unfortunately very bad copies. Also my other Artillery Great Grandfather. Turns out he had syphilis.......

21 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Fortunately my Great Grandfathers service papers have survived. Ernest John Mildenhall 11Bde RHA. He arrived in France from India 18/11/14. I’m assuming he wasn’t in the firing line by 22/11/14. Would this be the case? He was also mentioned in dispatches. A chronic varicose veins sufferer, he was also reduced to the ranks 3 times. I’ve been sent a copy of his papers today, unfortunately very bad copies. Also my other Artillery Great Grandfather. Turns out he had syphilis.......

For the clasp,

The King has approved of the issue of clasp to officers, warrant officers, non-commissioned officers, and men who have been awarded the 1914 Star and who actually served under the fire of the enemy in France and Belgium between August 5, 1914, and midnight, November 22-23, 1914.

The clasp will be in bronze and will bear the inscription '5th Aug - 22nd November, 1914.'

Craig

Unless he was within range of enemy mobile artillery during that first four days he would not have been entitled to the clasp. Given the choice between the veins and the syphilis I would settle for the veins any day of the week!!.:)

10 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Given the choice between the veins and the syphilis I would settle for the veins any day of the week!!.:)

Not the voice of experience I hope !

BillyH.

The 11 Brigade war diary shows them landing at Marseilles on 7/11/14 and moving to Orleans on 13/11/14. Then entraining at Merluns Station on 20/11/14 and travelling via Versailles, Abbeville and Calais to Bugette where they detrained. On 21/11/14 and 22/11/14 they were in billets at Busnes described as empty houses and farms, close quarters but comfortable. Busnes is about 25 miles South West of Ypres. I am not sure what is meant by mobile artillery but I assume it is something like ranges out to 15,000 - 20,000 yards. So that looks like ineligibility for the clasp.

• Admin

Many thanks for the help. 

Michelle