Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Napier Stewart

I believe my Great Uncle John Napier Stewart was a noncombatant who served as a stretcher bearer with the Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF) in WWI. I cannot find any details about his service record but I remember my grandmother, John's sister, kept a framed copy of his "Mentioned in Despatches" card on a table in her living room. The most important thing I can remember is the signature on the card - Winston S Churchill. I can only presume that Churchill at the time of signing was a colonel of the RSF, i.e. during the period when he gave up politics and sent himself to the frontline. I would be indebted if anyone could give me information as to how I can investigate further my uncle's service history. 

James S Dow

• Admin
8 hours ago, James S Dow said:

I believe my Great Uncle John Napier Stewart was a noncombatant who served as a stretcher bearer with the Royal Scots Fusiliers (RSF) in WWI. I cannot find any details about his service record but I remember my grandmother, John's sister, kept a framed copy of his "Mentioned in Despatches" card on a table in her living room. The most important thing I can remember is the signature on the card - Winston S Churchill. I can only presume that Churchill at the time of signing was a colonel of the RSF, i.e. during the period when he gave up politics and sent himself to the frontline. I would be indebted if anyone could give me information as to how I can investigate further my uncle's service history. 

HI and welcome to the forum.

I can't really help on the information you have given, John Stewart was a very common name.  There is a John N Stewart in the Medal Index Cards who was a civilian in the YMCA.  I fear you just have to eliminate men who, for example died and then you're left with a list of probables.

If he was in the Royal Scots Fusiliers he was not a non-combatant. The MiD should be recorded in the London or Edinburgh Gazette but nothing jumps out,  It could be it was a 'gallantry card' issued by his C.O.

You might have more luck if you start your own thread in 'Soldiers', in the meantime suggest you have a look at the Long Long Trail website (link top right) on how to research a soldier.  I would also mention for your own security it's not a good idea to put personal email addresses on the open forum.

Good luck with your research.

Ken

• Admin

Post edited to remove email address and new post in Soldiers created 

On 13/03/2019 at 11:34, James S Dow said:

John's sister, kept a framed copy of his "Mentioned in Despatches" card on a table in her living room. The most important thing I can remember is the signature on the card - Winston S Churchill. I can only presume that Churchill at the time of signing was a colonel of the RSF, i.e. during the period when he gave up politics and sent himself to the frontline

The card would have been signed by the Secretary of State for War - see the example here http://www.dcmmedals.co.uk/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/2.-MID-cert-768x611.jpg

Winston S Churchill filled that post from 1919 to (I think) 1921

James,

If you provide John's place and date of birth it will male it easier to find records. If he was married before or during the war, then who to?

Regards,

Alf McM

There in a medal index card for a John N Stewart of the YMCA. Card says Macedonia 29/1/17. British War Medal. Cannot find roll entry at the moment. Could this be him?

Hi James,

17 hours ago, kenf48 said:

The MiD should be recorded in the London or Edinburgh Gazette but nothing jumps out,  It could be it was a 'gallantry card' issued by his C.O.

If that were to be the case, the possible date range would appear to be quite tight. The Adjutant & Quarter-Master General (9 Division) war diary has an entry for 5th January 1916, part of which reads "Major Winston Churchill Oxford Hussars took command of the 6 R. Scots" [Fusiliers]. I didn't see when he released his command, but Wiki suggests that he was back in the UK in March 1916.

There is good general advice on how to research a soldier on the Long, Long Trail - see here.

Regards

Chris

There is this family in 1901 Scottish census in Blantyre

John B Stewart 48

Mary S Stewart 48

Elizabeth S Stewart 19

Jessie J Stewart 19

Jane Stewart 16

William Stewart 14

John N Stewart 12

William Mcfarlane 23

Need James to see if this rings a bell

6 minutes ago, clk said:

I didn't see when he released his command, but Wiki suggests that he was back in the UK in March 1916.

The OP seems quite clear that his uncle received an MiD

However if the gallantry card option is to be pursued,

then as far as I can tell, WSC left the battalion on May 7th, 1916, after the inspection by Major-General McCracken (O.C. 15th Div)

• Admin
14 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

The OP seems quite clear that his uncle received an MiD

Indeed, I merely mentioned the gallantry card as I could not find a reference in the Gazette (not unusual!).  The O.P. also seems quite clear his uncle served in the Royal Scots Fusiliers and not the YMCA as mentioned in the initial reply, even though that gentleman seems a reasonable fit and should at least be eliminated.

If not him the best bet would probably be to view all the John Stewart RSF Medal Cards on Ancestry (free) following the advice on the LLT to see if there is reference on the card https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/research-mention-despatches/. Or of course a more thorough search of the Gazette.

He does appear to have survived but again without more detail even a CWGC search doesn't help.

Ken

The date of publication of the MiD and the signature of WSC as S of S for War would seem to add up.  Macedonia on the medal card and roll adds up to 8th Battalion R Scots Fus.  However, looking forward to hearing regarding the address and family.

Max