Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Doing their Bit" at home

Guest Stephe

Guest Stephe

I am interested in finding out what recognition (medal) was given to servicemen whose war service kept them in the UK. My grandfather served in the Cameronians, but his poor eyesight kept him out of the fighting (ironic, since he served in a "Rifles" regiment). I know he spent time at Howe Barracks, Canterbury and at Deal, presumably on port security duty. Much has been said about the men who served overseas, but what about those who "did their bit" at home.

Stephe Miller, Elizabeth City, NC, USA

My previous post might be wrong as I have just found something that suggests the British War Medal was awarded to servicemen deemed to have served in a war theatre ... I would imagine that doesnt include UK. I think the Victory medal was awarded to anyone elligible for a BWM.

No doubt someone else can help ...

Guest lesley

A very interesting question stephe.

I don't know the answer but you could post as many details as you can under PRO and ask a kindly Pal to do a medal look up for you.

regards

Lesley

Stephe

If he didn't go overseas he would not have been entitled to any campaign medals- someone will doubtless explain the exceptions to this, but it is a pretty good general rule. The UK has always tended to be less liberal with medals than the US.

If he was discharged as a result of sickness contracted during his service he would be entitled to the Silver War Badge (SWB) - these can be traced like medals.

If you know his service number and name, or if you don't know his number but he has a really uncommon name, I'm happy to look for an award of the SWB this weekend. Post the details here.

Jock

Just to fill out Jon's post

The BWM was granted to those who either entered a theatre of war on duty, or who left their place of residence and rendered approved service overseas, other than the waters dividing the different parts of the UK between Aug 5th 1914 and 11th Nov 1918. The qualification was later extended to cover post war mine clearance and service in Russia 1919 and 1920.

The Victory medal was granted to those who actually served on the establishment of a unit within a theatre of war within specified dates.

These qualifications are for the Army, the wording for the Navy differs a little given the different nature of the two arms of service.

For the RFC/RAF the situation was different again where service in the British Isles as well as overseas and actively engaged in the air against the enemy qualified including those who flew new aircraft from Britain to France. All recipients of the Victory medal received the BWM, but certain regular and mobised personnel did receive the BWM on its own.

All recipients of the two stars automatically qualified for the BWM and Victory medals.

Interestingly, both Asquith and Lloyd George both received the BWM.

Terry Reeves

Guest Stephe

Thanks for the information, there's a lot to digest here.

Have only recently (this weekend) discovered that my great-grandfather also served in the Great War and "had his knee shot off", we think The Somme, 1916. I think his unit first saw action at Albert. If that's the case, then it's possible that he was awarded the 1914-15 Star, BWM, Victory Medal and SWB. So now I'm tracing a father and son: Charles Richard Hewitt (Territorials/West Yorkshires) and George William Hewitt (Cameronians). In addition, I have learned that Charles' nephew and thus, George's cousin, James William Logan (RFA) was killed in the war.

Guest Hill 60
Just to fill out Jon's post

The BWM was granted to those who either entered a theatre of war on duty, or who left their place of residence and rendered approved service overseas, other than the waters dividing the different parts of the UK between Aug 5th 1914 and 11th Nov 1918.

And, just to fill out Terry's post:

There were about 6,500,000 silver BWMs issued as well as around 110,000 in bronze that were issued to Chinese, Indian & Maltese personnel in Labour Battalions.

The BWM was originally supposed to be issued with clasps but when the Army proposed 79 and the Navy proposed 68 the plan was abandond.

However, the Naval clasps were authorised, on the 7 July 1920, but never issued: there are minature BWM with clasp on the market.

I used to have a BWM issued to a Private of the Middlesex Regt, attached to the Royal Defence Corps, who served in Gibralter for about 1 year, the BWM was his only entitlement.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Following on from Lee (!), not all members of foreign Labour Units received their Bronze BWMs. In what was, in my humble opinion, one of the most shameful acts of WW1, the South African Govt decided that black men from South Africa should not receive their medal.

The medals you see to members of the South African Native Labour Corps are for men from the High Commission Territories such as Basutoland.

Ian

:angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Do you know if the Fijian Labour corps received these bronze BWMs?

This is the first I have heard of them.

The BWM was originally supposed to be issued with clasps but when the Army proposed 79 and the Navy proposed 68 the plan was abandond.

Hi All:

Will someone be good enough to tell me what a "clasp" is? :huh: Many thanks.

Garth

Guest Hill 60

A clasp (or bar) is attached to the suspender of the medal and denotes a battle or war the recipient took part in. For instance the current General Service Medal has various clasps including 'Northern Ireland', 'Borneo', 'Radfan' and 'Kuwait'.

The term 'bar' is often used in place of the word 'clasp' to denote the addition to medal ribbons of metal strips signifying participation in certain approved actions. However, technically the word 'bar' should only be used to signify a second or subsequent award of a gallantry decoration.