Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

PrussianGarde

Is this an authentic EKII?

PrussianGarde

I just bought an iron cross 2nd class for 50 usd and it comes with an original ribbon and a certificate of authenticity. What do you guys think?

0E22063A-CCCF-42B1-805E-26D139CB99B5.png

99E3FC12-858E-4814-A5E7-6C33BE361CB1.png

D9CE8B10-2D4F-46B3-8E3A-BFD53D548765.png

John P. Moore

It looks a little too minty to me. Compare to this one I bought from an antique dealer in Germany 40 years ago. I'd also say that you paid too much!

EK II.jpg

IanA

I'd agree that it looks fresh out of the box.

PrussianGarde

Well this guy had 3 for sale and this was the best looking one. He said that it’s been in his family kept safe in a small box since the 1920’s. The guy is from Germany and this was what he said.

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear PrussianGarde,

If you have already paid the fifty bucks (peanuts in this game), the question is academic.

Generally, I would advise to wait until you see such an item that it obviously genuine - like the EKII group shown by John P. Moore, for example, which crop up frequently. Look for such items and turn a deaf ear to such stories such as 'kept in a box' (even if it is true!). And where is that 'certificate of authenticity'?47318-800x800.jpg.7956da5140e71325982ab0aff5c0f6cf.jpg

As I have already advised elsewhere, loose EKIIs are more likely to be Fakes, than are those sewn into mounted groups, of which I attach another example.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

PrussianGarde

ok thank you. Does the marking make any difference. I know that it is probably easy to forge them but once I receive the item I will update you on specifics

AOK4

I think it looks okay. I think it's a KO marked piece. Fakes usually don't have a clear maker's mark.

PrussianGarde

Yes. I know for sure that it says KO.