Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this an authentic EKII?

PrussianGarde

I just bought an iron cross 2nd class for 50 usd and it comes with an original ribbon and a certificate of authenticity. What do you guys think?

0E22063A-CCCF-42B1-805E-26D139CB99B5.png

99E3FC12-858E-4814-A5E7-6C33BE361CB1.png

D9CE8B10-2D4F-46B3-8E3A-BFD53D548765.png

It looks a little too minty to me. Compare to this one I bought from an antique dealer in Germany 40 years ago. I'd also say that you paid too much!

EK II.jpg

Well this guy had 3 for sale and this was the best looking one. He said that it’s been in his family kept safe in a small box since the 1920’s. The guy is from Germany and this was what he said.

Dear PrussianGarde,

If you have already paid the fifty bucks (peanuts in this game), the question is academic.

Generally, I would advise to wait until you see such an item that it obviously genuine - like the EKII group shown by John P. Moore, for example, which crop up frequently. Look for such items and turn a deaf ear to such stories such as 'kept in a box' (even if it is true!). And where is that 'certificate of authenticity'?47318-800x800.jpg.7956da5140e71325982ab0aff5c0f6cf.jpg

As I have already advised elsewhere, loose EKIIs are more likely to be Fakes, than are those sewn into mounted groups, of which I attach another example.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

ok thank you. Does the marking make any difference. I know that it is probably easy to forge them but once I receive the item I will update you on specifics

I think it looks okay. I think it's a KO marked piece. Fakes usually don't have a clear maker's mark.

• 3 weeks later...

It just came today and it definitely feels original and the makers mark is very clear with certificate of authenticity.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by PrussianGarde

Dear PrussianGarde,

Sure, the EKII looks authentic, but I am swayed more by the look of the decoration, rather than the so-called "Certificate of Authenticity"...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I don’t know enough about EK’s to really comment, what I would like to say that in all aspects of militaria collecting, there are very wide variances in condition, take for instance British Victorian percussion items, usually those that were kept in the UK are in much better condition than those sent to India for example, all items have a history, but unfortunately more and more the history can be very short indeed.

Hello,

I agree that the medal is original. I wouldn't go as far as guarantee the originality of the ribbon though, but that is often a replacement.

Cheers,

Jan

Edited by AOK4

Dear All,

Yes, I agree with Jan. Having said that, one cannot be dogmatic: by all means collect singleton EKIIs...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

PS: Securing a group solves both problems and often have interesting makers' "tags"23000439_EKIIgroupDNWMay2017obv.jpg.8f52a4e5a61d8ddca2d8dc6ef1df1911.jpg691634792_EKIIgroupDNWMay2017rev.jpg.f41447c0ee925fc6f1c687017dfb0b37.jpg on the backing: NB: The group attached has the ribbons in a sort of "reverse" fold - perhaps for NoK?