Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help understading RFC/RAF airman record ?

Bennett

I have hopefully attached an airman record for 2/lt George Iliff who ended his short stay and young life with RAF 213 Squadron September 25, 1918. I would like help understanding his airman record which appears confusing and contradictory in parts and may not yield clear answers. 

So, to me George appears as a eager young chap who joined the RFC on his 18th birthday at South Farnborough as an AM. Bit strange as he was a graduate of Trent College, same as Albert Ball. I then have difficulty understanding the entries for training in 1917. does 'c.w'  stand for cadet wing or perhaps officer commanding wing?

However by February 1918 he had qualified to be sent off to Oxford SMA. I am a little confused as to the sole entry on one page relating to "unfit as pilot, fit as an observer, then fit as a pilot" dated September 1917 before Oxford and just after he enlisted, and do not understand the "abo" designation for authority.

The page showing his training is also confusing. The dates and duration of schools are somewhat unclear and seem very short in duration. What is "56 s of"?  Was it the 70 T.S.? and lastly I can not clarify the info given under 'appointments and promotions' section ?.

Sorry if these questions are confusing issues further. I would greatly appreciate assistance with understanding, to the extent possible, the course of the last months of his life with the RFC.  Thank You

AIR-76-248-118 (4).pdf

5 CW 21Sep17 is 5 Cadet Wing, Denham.

'ABO' - not sure but usually refers to a Medical Board. If he has a WO 339 record it will probably be detailed. EDIT: he does: it's WO 339/121576.

Arm Sch is Armament School, Uxbridge (14May18), then to 70 Training Squadron at Beaulieu for flight training.

Then to 3 Fighting School at Bircham Newton for further training as Camel pilot.

Finally 5 Group for 61st Wg on 17Aug18.

The 'authorities' usually refer to the order in which the posting or occurrence appeared, and in most cases these no longer exist.

Edited by quemerford

I think ABO may refer to an Air Board Order.

Errol

Thanks very much Sirs for your information, much appreciated. As a obscure follow up question, does anyone know the 1918 date that the No. 3 Fighting School transferred from RAF Bircham Newton to RAF Sedgeford? Thanks again

21 September 1918.

Errol

• 3 weeks later...

There's an AIR 79 file for the chap (91837), which refers to his enlistment in August 1917.

As has been pointed out, his AIR 76 file refers to 70 Training Squadron and 3 Fighting School. However, his AIR 79 also refers to 29 TDS.

Thanks 'Airshipped'. I think I have come to understand that the 29 TDS was at Beaulieu Aerodrome, north of he Isle of Wight. The community has a very good website regarding their Great War Aviation history and # 3 Fighting School was located at Bircham Newton.

Iliff enlisted first as an AM at South Farnborough in August 1917 and quickly moved up to a Flight Cadet at Denham    Thanks again