Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfathers Service

phildee

My Grandfather served in both the A.S.C. and the R.F.A.during WW1.Could Anyone,tell Me Please, what Unit would His Medals

have been Inscribed with.Also is it possible from His Regimental Numbers to ascertain what Units He would have served in.

Thanking You in Anticipation

Kind Regards

Phil  

A soldier could have served in many regiments, but in general, the one in which he first entered a theatre of war  will be the one which is engraved on the medal.

12 minutes ago, phildee said:

Also is it possible from His Regimental Numbers to ascertain what Units He would have served in.

ASC - no.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thank You Both for Your Replies,His Name was William Doe.His Regimental Numbers are for the A.S.C.-T4 161067 and for the R.F.A.-267454

Thanking You Both Again, any Help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Regards Phil

His medal index card has Victory and British medals on Roll RFA/32113 (or 321B) Page 44389.

Someone may be able to look this up for you.

Edited by Jrmh

His Medal Index card is here:

MIC

As his ASC details are listed first, I would assume that he entered a theatre of war first with them, and that the ASC details wil be on his medals.

I may be wrong.

Usually, the unit that is engraved on a medal (whee a card shows two or more units is marked with the 'Reference Mark' 

He entered that theatre of war (probably France & Flanders) on or after January 1st 1916.

The RFA administered his medal allocation though and would appear on their roll as he was in the RFA either at the armistice or when the medals were issued.

Although you can't deduce into which ASC company he went by his number, you can estimate when that number was issued by finding surviving service records of soldiers with similar numbers.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Hi Everyone,Please excuse My lateness in Thanking Jrmh and Dai Bach for Your Replies,Caught up Working.

I have taken Your advice Dai Bach and have found a Gentleman Named William Guest,with the Regimental Number

T4/161073.With His Number being so close to My Grandads,would it be possible that They would have Served in the same Unit.

Thanking You in Anticipation

Kind Regards

Phil

3 hours ago, phildee said:

have found a Gentleman Named William Guest,with the Regimental Number

T4/161073.

I can't find a service record on Ancestry, nor a MIC on Ancestry or National Archive.

Do you have a link?

3 hours ago, phildee said:

With His Number being so close to My Grandads,would it be possible that They would have Served in the same Unit.

Not particularly likely.

The similar number would imply a similar date of attestation or similar date of  call up at (Horse) Transport Depot. They may have been there at the same time.

Where they went after that is anybody's guess.