Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

prison camp - clausthal

Guest markmaskery

Guest markmaskery

hi,

happened by this great site by accident,but pleased to have been accepted as a new member. i am trying to find out some information on 1st w.w. prioner of war camp -CLAUSTHAL.all i know is it was a camp for officers,apparently mainly british and canadian. i have recently come accross an art book with many signed photos and postcards and many officers signatures many from royal flying corps,and i would really like to research the item.the starting point will be to find out about the camp itself. any help would be appreciated.

yours,

mark

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

The following is a brief description of Clausthal camp and is taken from Mrs Pope-Hennessey list of prisoner of war camps:

"The most important place in the Oberharz, and a silver mining centre. Country bleak and sterile. The mining output includes gold, silver, lead and copper. There is an officers camp, about two miles from the town, established in the Kurhaus Pfauenteich, 2000 ft. above sea-level, in the Harz mountains. It is built of wood with brick foundations. 10th Army Corps."

I have a copy of the Cox & Co.'s list of British officers who were captured during the war, this includes RFC/RAF officers. It gives the date missing, date of internment (if the officer was transferred to Holland or Switzerland) and the date of repatraition. If you want any of the men you are researching looked up just let me know the names.

Regards

Steve

Hi Mark,

One of the men I am researching, Gerald Featherstone Knight was a POW from November 1916 to August 1917 and spent sometime in this POW camp. He wrote a book about his time as a POW and I am sure that there is a chapter on the camp, I was able a few months ago to photo copy the whole of this book, (don't tell the library service) and you are more than welcome to a copy of the relevant part. However, at the moment half my house is packed up in readyness to move, I will try to find it but can't make any promises at the moment. In the meantime could you tell me if Gerald is mentioned in your book.

Regards

IanC

10 Mark POW money - Clausthal

post-3-1106857500.jpg

• 5 years later...
Guest David Schenck

Hello Steve

Following an earlier visit to this page and having seen your message to Mark, I have just subscribed to the Invisionzone website.

I am searching for information regarding a James William Sanders, born in Newdigate, Surrey in 1892. Having qualified as a Flying Officer Observer with the rank of Lieutenant he was serving in Egypt during the very early part of 1916, but was soon transferred to the Western Front flying in FE2B aircraft.

He was reported missing on 16 September 1916, with a brief indication that he was held in a POW camp Osnabruck at that time.

However, on 16 September 1918, the "Daily Mail" newspaper published a photograph of six RFC Officers held as POWs in Clausthal Camp. All were wearing their R.F.C. uniforms. Included in the group was Lieut James William with his RFC uniform displaying his insignia of an Observer. Following 6 months R & R in Denmark, he was repatriated and released for dispersal on 12 April 1919.

I would be most interested to know whether Flying Officer James William Sanders is mentioned in the list that you have and whether you have any further information about him.

Your kind help would be deeply appreciated.

David

(David H J Schenck in the County of Surrey, England)

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

The following is a brief description of Clausthal camp and is taken from Mrs Pope-Hennessey list of prisoner of war camps:

"The most important place in the Oberharz, and a silver mining centre. Country bleak and sterile. The mining output includes gold, silver, lead and copper. There is an officers camp, about two miles from the town, established in the Kurhaus Pfauenteich, 2000 ft. above sea-level, in the Harz mountains. It is built of wood with brick foundations. 10th Army Corps."

I have a copy of the Cox & Co.'s list of British officers who were captured during the war, this includes RFC/RAF officers. It gives the date missing, date of internment (if the officer was transferred to Holland or Switzerland) and the date of repatraition. If you want any of the men you are researching looked up just let me know the names.

Regards

Steve

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Steve