Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

42234 Pte Joseph Oakland 10th Notts & Derbys

OLD ROBIN HOOD

Greetings from a soggy Sherwood Forest.

This request is a bit of a long shot. I am researching 42232 Pvt Joseph Oakland 10th Notts & Derby Regt.

He died of wounds on 12/11/1917 and is buried in Solferino Farm Cemetery , Ypres.

Does anyone have any information on his admission to hospital before his death?.  If so it would be

most useful.  This soldier lived in Carlton which is a suburb of Nottingham.

So any help would be most appreciated.

Old Robin Hood

• 2 months later...

I have looked on Ancestry, FMP and FWR and can find no references to a hospital stay. Sorry

George

If you find out where the battalion was on the day he died, relate that to where he is buried and it may be the two are close and that he never made it to hospital. 

Greetings to  George & Coldstreamer.

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your replies but Robin Hood has been out of town.

Thanks for your efforts George very much appreciated.

Coldstreamer, I have checked the battalion  history of the 10th Sherwoods  and found that they were last in action at Langemarck

on October 13th. They suffered 15 Other ranks killed and 150 wounded. Pte Oakland may have been one of them. At the time of

his death on November 12th  they were in camp. Therefore it is likely that he had arrived in hospital where he died.

Again I thank you both for your help

Old Robin Hood