Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is a DCM ? ,( no not the medal or court martial )

DorsetDan

Dear Forum ,

I have a field message here , sent by a officer in the 38th Div signal company to a NCO linesman , ordering a line to be laid following up after an attack . The message mentions a DCM as a start point ( which i think must be a position ).

As a guess i've come up with Division Command/communication M??????.           Any more ideas !

FYI - the attack was carried out by 113th Bde on 22/23rd August 1918 , north of Albert , and the line was laid .       Cheers  Martin.

Field Message (2).JPG

Divisional Company Mess?

I thought it was the sack,  ‘dont come monday’.

I'm not happy about Mess but it was the only noun I could think of - "which" and "at" didn't suggest a person.

2 hours ago, caulkheader said:

I thought it was the sack,  ‘dont come monday’.

He would have got the sack , if he didn't get that line across:D 

8 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I'm not happy about Mess but it was the only noun I could think of - "which" and "at" didn't suggest a person.

Yes , I agree , I don't think its a person , I still think its some sort of position .

6 hours ago, michaeldr said:

As you seem to be in the general area Dan

then it may be worth calling in on the Royal Signals Museum to see if they can help here 

https://www.royalsignalsmuseum.co.uk/

Cheers michaeldr , good shout , why didn't i think of that ? , just down the road from me . :thumbsup:

Divisional Communications Main would be my stab.  It is a place capable of acting as something (report centre here). There is no article in front of the two mentions so "go to Div Comms Main" , leave stuff at Div Comms main" would be the way it would be spoken/written.  Whatever, I'd agree that asking the R Sigs would be the way to go.  Do let us know!

Max

16 minutes ago, MaxD said:

Divisional Communications Main would be my stab.  It is a place capable of acting as something (report centre here). There is no article in front of the two mentions so "go to Div Comms Main" , leave stuff at Div Comms main" would be the way it would be spoken/written.  Whatever, I'd agree that asking the R Sigs would be the way to go.  Do let us know!

Max

Many thanks Max , what you say makes sense , will try the Siggs and let everybody know . Cheers

19 minutes ago, jonbem said:

Yes jonbem , looks like the way to go . Many thanks 

18 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Commissary - “ a store for provisions”

DCM - Divisional commissary?

Many thanks Uncle .

• 2 months later...

Dear Forum Folk  - a quick DCM update 

Have been in contact with the research dept. at the sigs museum Blanford , they are as puzzled as we are to the meaning of DCM on the message , they had not come across it before and have kindly looked through some of their archives for me but found nothing ! They are now also on the "please let us know if you find out" list .

Looks like a tricky one but the search goes on.     DD

I would go along with "Divisional Communications Main" or something very similar. The British Army during the Great war did not generally use the word "commissary" for a function or a location, although some AOD officers were called "commissaries of ordnance".

Ron

17 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

I would go along with "Divisional Communications Main" or something very similar. The British Army during the Great war did not generally use the word "commissary" for a function or a location, although some AOD officers were called "commissaries of ordnance".

Ron

Thanks Ron , i agree , it must be something along those lines ( no pun intended ) .  DD

With sincere apology for any offence but Id' like to share a trivial coincidence. One of my frailties but never intended to be frivolent.

Today I attended an exhibition of local archives intent on trying to add pieces to a family teaser. 

This involves the attached pages from the family bible. 

Two coincidences i) DCM entry on second page a mystery to me

ii) The first born Thomas Edward Williams, 19401, 14th RWF,  DoW Feb. 20 1917 is Signaller 113th Bde. 38th ( Welsh) Division 

1066094255_Nainsbible2.jpg.e79964a98fabbd99869d6ad6eebfbddd.jpg1828075909_Nainsbible.jpg.1d70c5b8141aeffc87a9ca1c53982322.jpg

No worries asanewt , thanks for taking the time to share your information .

1) i'am also not sure what the meaning of the DCM on page 2 is , chances are it may not be military at all !

2) Thomas would have been a battalion signaller with 14th RWF ,he may have known the RE signallers ( at the Div Signal Coy ) that i'am looking at ,as he would have received training with them .

Thanks again and good luck with your family research .    DD