Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
PJS

Help Identifying this Group

PJS

Can anyone help identify which regiment these men are from?

Regiment.PNG.5cad49ebd6383b1d5bf42a2cc4607615.PNG

Thank You

Peter

Mark1959

Cap badge would suggest Middlesex Regiment. Quite distinctive.

Few Officers with, I suspect, senior NCOs 

Officer on left has Medal ribbons that suspect may be Boer War. That and the mature NCOs would lead me to suspect a regular battalion.

Edited by Mark1959

Andrew Upton

I would say that badge is of the South Lancashire Regiment, not the Middlesex Regiment:

Image result for south lancashire regiment

Image result for middlesex regiment

bootneck

At least one terrier in the picture (2nd man top right with ISO) 

PJS

Thank you all. Here is a closer view of the cap badge. To my untrained eye it does look more like South Lancs to me ...

South-Lancs.PNG.8a1a841882618d76e65a869e27116db4.PNG

Peter

Mark1959

I concur. Sorry for the dodgy identification. The banner at the bottom of the Middlesex badge is clearly not there. 

Off to stand in the corner with my Dunce's Hat on.

Edited by Mark1959

PJS
30 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

I concur. Sorry for the dodgy identification. The banner at the bottom of the Middlesex badge is clearly not there. 

Off to stand in the corner with my Dunce's Hat on.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I should have posted a close up along with the original.

I also have this picture from a different page in the same scrapbook. Any opinions from anyone on whether this is the South Lancs too?  (Not sure why half of them are looking at the camera instead of straight ahead).

More-South-Lancs.PNG.29539dbfd87b80e452f257351dadee26.PNG

Peter

Robin Garrett

I can only see one officer in the photo: the elderly, moustachioed man in the middle of the front row. He seems to have colonel's rank badges on his sleeve. The other man with a Sam Browne belt looks as though he is a warrant officer as he has what looks like a WO1's badge on his right sleeve. Looks like the group is from the serjeants' mess with the battalion's honorary colonel.

TTracer44

Who’s the little lad sitting quietly bottom left, how did he get in there!

DenMore-South-Lancs.PNG.29539dbfd87b80e452f

CorporalPunishment
11 hours ago, PJS said:

Can anyone help identify which regiment these men are from?

Regiment.PNG.5cad49ebd6383b1d5bf42a2cc4607615.PNG

Thank You

Peter

Half of them look to be 5th Bn. TF, with the blackened cap badges and black buttons. The rest are probably 4th Bn. TF. Pete.

Steven Broomfield

I have to say that the chap standing behind and to our left of the Colonel looks like the local branch of Gregg's was doing a 'buy one, get several more free' offer.

Dave66
1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Half of them look to be 5th Bn. TF, with the blackened cap badges and black buttons. The rest are probably 4th Bn. TF. Pete.

The chap second from right at the back is wearing the T.F. Imperial service badge...possibly pre/early ww1?

Edited by Dave66

Ron Clifton
2 hours ago, Robin Garrett said:

I can only see one officer in the photo: the elderly, moustachioed man in the middle of the front row. He seems to have colonel's rank badges on his sleeve. The other man with a Sam Browne belt looks as though he is a warrant officer as he has what looks like a WO1's badge on his right sleeve.

The officer has the rank insignia of a captain, not a colonel. He has two cuff rings, not four. (Were you counting his fingers as part of the cuff?) I agree about the man sitting next to him.

Ron

PJS

From a loose page in another scrapbook. Looks like the same officer as in the group photo. What do you think?

Colonel.PNG.d3cd82758ad203daf3ad2bb2e3234d4e.PNG

Colonel-Closeup.PNG.d277b54c0e4fa2be75b51d6a705b4428.PNG

Peter

CorporalPunishment
22 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

The chap second from right at the back is wearing the T.F. Imperial service badge...possibly pre/early ww1?

I would say 1910-1914 period. They certainly look to have seen some service between them. The man at the back with the bandolier appears to be wearing the ribbons of the Queen's South Africa Medal, the King's South Africa Medal and the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Pete.

PJS
10 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I would say 1910-1914 period. They certainly look to have seen some service between them. The man at the back with the bandolier appears to be wearing the ribbons of the Queen's South Africa Medal, the King's South Africa Medal and the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Pete.

Some close-ups ...

Closeup-1.PNG.91e39337630bf690a6f802dbe34a2bb8.PNG

Closeup-2.PNG.11147efb0e6e54d85438d2ba81310074.PNG

Closeup-3.PNG.23b32648a51ea9efe1956f87ec8eb0eb.PNG

Peter

Robin Garrett
1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

The officer has the rank insignia of a captain, not a colonel. He has two cuff rings, not four. (Were you counting his fingers as part of the cuff?) I agree about the man sitting next to him.

Ron

I stand corrected (I had trouble passing Maths O Level). I wonder whether he was commissioned from the ranks, which would explain why he is in the photo. 

CorporalPunishment
57 minutes ago, PJS said:

Some close-ups ...

Closeup-1.PNG.91e39337630bf690a6f802dbe34a2bb8.PNG

Closeup-2.PNG.11147efb0e6e54d85438d2ba81310074.PNG

Closeup-3.PNG.23b32648a51ea9efe1956f87ec8eb0eb.PNG

Peter

I would say the men are, almost certainly, a mixture of 4th. and 5th. Battalions, South Lancashire Regiment, TF.  Pete.

Andrew Upton
4 hours ago, PJS said:

More-South-Lancs.PNG.29539dbfd87b80e452f257351dadee26.PNG

More evidence of them being Territorials in that they all appear to be wearing the Territorial version of the 1908 Pattern Equipment - note the ammunition pouches consist of only three pockets either side, lacking the two above on the normal version:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1908/pics/territorial_force/components/1908_tf_components_equip_carriers.html

FROGSMILE

I think Pete is absolutely correct, black badge and buttons of 5th South Lancs (TF).  Date wise I think later, as the RSM is wearing the post July 1915 badge of rank.  As well as Sam Browne he wears WOs pattern SD.  I’d date the photo as late 1915 to early 1916.

B3A187BB-6F0B-4594-AE23-C4A1BE72B7A1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

CorporalPunishment

Good point.   Pete.