Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P W Cracknell

Nigel Cracknell

I’m trying to find out a few things about my grandad, he was with C Company 1stBn Suffolk Regiment and was taken prisoner during February 1915, is it possible to pin point where his trench was at the time of his capture and what German unit over ran his trench?

My grandad was 8353 Pte Cracknell, PW

Any information greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I take it you’ve seen his record card on the International Committee of the Red Cross site – captured 16th February 1915.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3563720/3/2/

Arrived back at Hull 23rd November 1918.

https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/List/3563720/699/52164/

I found this on line a few years back but unfortunately the source website is now defunct.

The Division crossed to Le Havre in January 1915 where the 1st Battalion Suffolks joined their 2nd Battalion fighting under terrible conditions. For example during the month of February they had been in the Verbrandenmolen sector. On the 15th February they were in temporary trenches, to the south of Ypres and west of the canal. These so-called trenches consisted of banks, which did not provide any cover and ditches mostly waist-deep in water. Part of this trench system was in enemy hands. 'C' company was ordered to hold part of this system it till morning but when they arrived, however, they learned that the main part of the trench was in the hands of the enemy. As they moved forward the front platoon of 'C' company were stopped by grenade and machine-gun fire. All attempts to get beyond this point failed and the company suffered heavy casualties during the rest of the night. By dawn all survivors had been taken prisoner. Two platoons, in support near the wood on the canal, were later ordered up to make an attack to recover the position but the attack had to be aborted due to daybreak. They spent 2 days standing in icy water. During these two weeks they lost 300 casualties.

The official Regimental History doesn’t really add anything.

Page 58 “The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914 – 1927” by Lieutenant-Colonel C.C.R.Murphy

Throughout February 9 the enemy shelled unremittingly one part or another of the Verbrandenmolen sector. The trenches held by the battalion were in a shocking state, those on the right being two feet deep in water. Battalion headquarters, despite the attention it had received from the enemy’s artillery during the afternoon, remained intact. The next evening the battalion returned to Ypres, and during the night of the 11th-12th went into billets near Ouderdom.

Unfortunately  I don’t have the 1st Battalion War Diary. If you have access to Ancestry then depending on your level of subscription you should be able to find the Battalion War Diary for the period which may include maps.
In my experience the Battalion War Diaries are quite often missing some or all of their appendices – the were a frequent port of call for researchers when you had to go physically to Kew. Where they are more likely to have survived is in the Brigade War Diary. This can have several advantages as well as the appendices and maps. First they are usually typed up so easier to read. Secondly, they include copies of the war diaries for all the units that made up the Brigade so you get both more context and the chance that somewhere in there you will find maps and map references.

The 1st Suffolks were in the 84th Brigade.

Edit - the National Archive reference is WO 95/2276/1

The diary covering the relevant period can also be downloaded for £3.50 from the National Archive here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353520

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Add reference and National Archive link

His Medal Index Card (MIC) available for another £3.50 if you do not already have it: 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7241785 - or may be investigated in the preview option.

seaJane

Edited by seaJane

Silver War Badge

First name(s) Percy
Last name Cracknell
Service number 8353
Rank Private
Badge number 454906
Enlistment date 16-Oct-1911
Discharge date 31-May-1919
Regiment/unit 3rd Suffolks
Cause of discharge Malaria 392 (xvia)
Whether served overseas Yes
Badge date of issue 26-Feb-1920
Age on discharge 27

Edited by HTSCF Fareham

According to the Army Service Numbers blog site, service number 8353 in the Suffolk Regiment Regular Army Battalions would have been issued between the 12th January 1911 and the 3rd January 1913.

See http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/07/suffolk-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html

The ICRC records shows him as born Suffolk on the 16th August 1883. That seems a bit old to be enlisting in the Army for the first time. Either way he would have been eligible for overseas posting as soon as he finished basic training – most likely with the 1st Battalion. At the outbreak of the Great War they were stationed in Khartoum in the Sudan. While it’s possibly he could have contracted Malaria in Northern France, Belgium, Germany or Poland, it seems unlikely. I suspect that is more likely to stem from his time in Africa.

Cheers,

Peter