Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Hitchman MM

Laura😎

Hi, I saw on the list from the photographs that were in the Gloucestershire newspaper the name Albert Hitchman which is my Great Grandad, I just wondered if I was able to be sent the picture of him if that’s possible? 3257 was the number for his picture if that’s of any help? And if you have any more information on him from the War that would be great! 

Thank you! 😊

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Laura. Do you mean this thread? If so, you will need to post your request there.

Michelle 

Laura

Welcome

There is a lot of info about Albert Hitchman on Ancestry, which you can access at your local library if you do not subscribe. His Service numbers were 3320 and from 1917 his number was 241108. The award of his Military Medal is in the London Gazette 20/10/1916 Edition 29794 page 10218. He has a Service Record which shows his home address and that he was wounded in action, leg and thigh, on 19/08/1916. 

The War Diary for 2/5 Gloucestershire Regt (184 Infantry Brigade of 61 Division) can be found on Ancestry under Various Infantry Brigades - 61 Div - 184 IB - Piece 3066. The entry for 19/08/1918 records that a raid was made on the German trenches by C Company on the night of 19/20 and there are detailed reports of this raid attached to the WD. There is a copy of the Routine Order dated 05/09/1916 (p596/960) which names him and others as being rewarded. It would look good framed. I think it must relate to the raid.

Also see p 564/960 which is a list of men in a raiding party which may relate to 09/07/1916. Cpl Hitchman is named in the Right Party with a small c (I suspect C Company) and a large B, which from the legend means he was a bayonet man for the occasion.

The local papers for his home town may have a photograph and report of his MM. Usually to be found at the Library History Section on microfiche. Check from end of August. 

Please do not hesitate to ask on the Forum for more assistance.

Brian. 

That’s Fantastic Brian Thankyou for your help and information given, I did know about about the C company raid bit but I will have a look at the other information, am I just able to access this info online? I know I would need to pay to access anscestory. But for instance the London gazette ran I able to just search that online?

Thankyou

Laura

Your local library should have free access to Ancestry and you can search the London Gazette online for free. Select All Notices and put the service number in the search box. I use the dates 01/08/1914 to 31/12/1919. In this case you can search under the LG edition 29794

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/all-notices/notice

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

Brian, Thankyou for that I’ve just found him on the Gazette. 

I will need to join Ancestry to view the write up on C company and him mentioned again being awarded and the photo! 

Excited! I might Go to the library and have a good mooch on there