Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leading Seaman Charles William Lock, HMS Pembroke, died 6th Feb 1919, age 27

I am new to this website, and unfamiliar with military ranks or terminology, but am trying to find information about Leading Seaman Charles William Lock RN J/2757 who died 6th February 1919 at age 27, and is buried in Brighton, Sussex. 

I have searched this site by name and by date without finding anything relevant to him.  His gravestone includes HMS Pembroke, which I have only just learned was a name attached to several onshore bases.  Any clues or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

1919 BRIGHTON CITY CEMETERY Leading Seaman Charles William Lock.jpg

Edited by Guest
improved image

At that date I am guessing that he probably died in the flu pandemic. Normally I would be able to look up his service record in the National Archives' Discovery catalogue, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

The record should also be on the FindMyPast site; if you don't have a subscription, local libraries should provide free use. 

Finally, @MichaelBully has, I think (not certain), studied Brighton and Hove casualties and may have the information you need already.

Born Kentish Town 2nd July 1891. Railway booking Clerk. Enlisted 2ndJuly 1909. Invalided 11th September 1918 Pulminary Tuberculosis.

Bob

Ah! TNA is back.

Service record available for £3.50

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6854981

From the preview I can see that he joined as a boy in late 1912, training ship GANGES.

Given the other replies, I obviously didn't look hard enough at the preview! It almost certainly was the TB that killed him.

I note that he was wounded in the action by HMS HARDINGE on 3 February 1915. She was stationed in the Suez Canal at Toussum and was engaged in preventing an attack by the Turkish Army across the Canal. During the action her funnels were hit by two 6-inch shells. Several men were injured and two junior ratings subsequently died of their wounds.

A small diversion: HMS HARDINGE had a Canal Pilot, Mr George Carew, embarked who was commended for his gallant conduct during the action when he sustained several serious wounds (his leg was eventually amputated) but continued his piloting task. As a civilian he could not be decorated with a naval award so two months later he was commissioned as a Temporary Lieutenant in the RNR, backdated to 3 February, and awarded the DSC.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29123/supplement/3550/data.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, noticed my name mentioned!  My speciality has been Hove casualties rather than Brighton. But if I can help, feel free to add to this thread or to message me. Regards