Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers' Effects Supplementary Payment

robertb

Pte Edward Herbert Owen 24411 16/Welsh Regiment died 19 June 1917.  When he died he was attached to 254 Tunnelling Company.  In the records for Soldiers' Effects there is a supplementary payment. Since the tunnellers had a much improved daily pay rate, above the PBI, was there a supplement paid for their time with the Tunnelling Companies?

40 minutes ago, robertb said:

Pte Edward Herbert Owen 24411 16/Welsh Regiment died 19 June 1917.  When he died he was attached to 254 Tunnelling Company.  In the records for Soldiers' Effects there is a supplementary payment. Since the tunnellers had a much improved daily pay rate, above the PBI, was there a supplement paid for their time with the Tunnelling Companies?

Do you mean the £2 10s on his effects record - if so, the supplementary figures are basically error corrections to adjust for further amounts that have come to light.

Craig

Would this be an adjustment for working with the Tunnelling Companies (attached)?

Don't think soI have a relative in the Infantry showing a supplamentary payment. Can you post a link to the entry?. 

1 hour ago, robertb said:

Would this be an adjustment for working with the Tunnelling Companies (attached)?

The £2 10 could be for anything, all you can say is that it was passed on to effects branch following the initial payment.

Craig

I have found the link in Craigs post but al though I have Ancestry it says I need Premium membership

Hi johnboy,

I think that might be because the link that Craig posted may be one that takes you through to view it via a Fold3 membership. The direct Ancestry link is here.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

hanks Chris. Seen it now. Different to my relatives. His entry was stamped supplementary