Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool Scottish Signallers

rustyredhead

I am hoping somebody may correct me if I’m wrong on bits of information about our Grandad Albert Winfield Scott no.4880 then later 356387 who joined the 10th Scottish Liverpool kings 17th June 1915.

I am lucky to have his Photo, and recently found his papers had survived, which meant I now know that the badge on his arm showed he was a signaller.

Also, there were 2 bits of paper dated 1937, would these mean that was the date he would finally have been stood down, (if that’s the correct term).

Finally, though I can make out that it is a flag on the badge, was it a specific one for the Liverpool Scottish

Regards & Thankyou

Rusty

Albert Winfield Scott.jpg

30974_187417-00366(3).jpg

30974_187417-00368(3).jpg

Those flags on the badge would not relate to the regiment or battalion.  They would be reduced versions of the flags for morse code or semaphore visual signalling, probably little used by that date.  Blue and white stripes, I think.

This might be of interest:

LiverpoolScots-Signallers.jpg.12cca2d24f6ddde1d800ba634470c369.jpg

Chris

Thank you, Daggers & Chris,

I must admit I had a senior moment, because of the mention of semaphore, & the image of just some of the equipment they had to carry.  As children, you were never told what they did so having recently just discovered a part of it, with no disrespect the following has crossed my mind

1/ With the name, the photo of Grandad in his kilt, 2 Uncles in the Liverpool Scottish, and a 3rd in the Cameron Highlanders, as a child I was convinced I was Scottish

2/ Also as a child, I was in the Brownies, & had to sew a proficiency badge on my sleeve for would you believe Semaphore

I have the belt in the photo, which I treasured for years as it was my Grandads, & it’s only through the likes of this site, the significance & privilege of it, goes deep

I don’t know what it is, nor how to describe it but there is always something moving and striking when you see group photos of The Men

Thanks again

Rusty

If you would like to know more about the work of a signaller in an infantry battalion on the Western Front "Old Soldiers Never Die" by Frank Richards is worth a read. He was a regular soldier in the Royal Welch Fusiliers who served throughout the war initially initially in a rifle company but around 1915 or 1916 he transferred to the battalion's signal section. 

Thank you Bordercollie, my Dad had a saying for everything, and he'd often quote that at me, googled it & its in my basket

I also saw the gallows humour "Send reinforcements" quote,I have no right to chuckle, but can't help it

Thanks again for that

Rusty