Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PTE LEWIS SIBLEY

Acknown

Lewis served with the TA 1/1st Buckinghamshire Battalion of the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (numbers 4803 and 266887). He was born in about 1884, presumably entered France in May 15 with his battalion and was killed on 16 Aug 17, probably during the Battle of Langemarck. He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Three questions:

• Why the number change? From TA to Regular service?
  • What company was he in? The WD is particularly detailed with company locations.
  • Does anyone have any other useful information not generally available on Ancestry, CWGC, NA?

Many thanks.

Acknown

Why the number change? From TA to Regular service?

1917 TF Renumbering - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-the-tf-infantry-in-1917/

What company was he in? The WD is particularly detailed with company locations.

Unless his service records survive then you'll be very lucky to find something that mentions the company  (even service records generally don't mention it).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Acknown,

Territorial soldiers were re-numbered in 1917. See this page from 'The Long Long Trail'. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/renumbering-of-the-territorial-force-in-1917/renumbering-the-tf-infantry-in-1917/

There is no date of entry on Lewis' MIC, so he didn't arrive in France until January 1916 at th earliest.

Regards,

Alf McM

That was quick! Very many thanks to all. TF renumbering, gratuity and Poole Memorial - thank you. ICRC - forgot to look - intriguing. Did he die in the battalion or on the railway ...

I don't suppose anyone knows anything about the III Corps light railway?

Acknown

David,

Many thanks, but I'm not sure. I can't find light railway 'maintenance' companies, just 'operating', 'signal' and 'construction'. I'll keep looking.

Acknown

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Acknown said:

David,

Many thanks, but I'm not sure. I can't find light railway 'maintenance' companies, just 'operating', 'signal' and 'construction'. I'll keep looking.

Acknown

I think it isn't the one. I had missed the Maintenance Company bit.

I'm beginning to think that he was detached to the 2 'maintenance' company, III Corps Light Railway, which I think was on the Somme in Aug 17 (anyone confirm?). He is on the TC Memorial because he was still cap-badged Ox&Bucks and his battalion included him in their overall list. Is this plausible? It is quite a coincidence that he went missing on the same day that his battalion took severe casualties at Langemarck.

Acknown

Refreshing with new 'railway' tag. Any RE railway pundits out there?

Acknown