Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

ShtLE303

1910 Danzig kar98az

ShtLE303

Picked up this 1910 Danzig kar98 today..only flaw is an incorrect 98k Weimar marked bolt. Thrilled to find a pre war kar98. Enjoy the pics!

0309191956.jpg

0309191956a.jpg

0309191956b.jpg

0309191956c.jpg

0309191956d.jpg

0309191957.jpg

Steve1871

Nice little collection there. I do not remember if mine is matching? Is that next one a Springfield 1903? I see the U.S. Sling, on your 98Az, is it unit marked? I think the "Az" had it's own sling, shorter than rile, but with distinctive extra set holes/eyelets, thanks for posting!

ShtLE303

To the right of the kar98 is a trapdoor Springfield, to its right is an M1864 Springfield. 

The kar is not unit marked, unfortunately. 

trajan

So, not 'S' marked?

Steve1871

Would still be nice to show some more, brighter, clearer pics of your 98az, 

The U.S. Trap Doorodels are always nice, enough new made and other similar cal. Conversion ammo makes those Trap Door rifles, one of the cheapest to shoot👍

17107BM
On 10/03/2019 at 11:34, trajan said:

So, not 'S' marked?

Would that denote the JS .323 bullet? As opposed to the pre 1905 .318 round nosed? My date could be wrong, as my take on the marking 'S'

trajan
16 hours ago, 17107BM said:

Would that denote the JS .323 bullet? As opposed to the pre 1905 .318 round nosed? My date could be wrong, as my take on the marking 'S'

"S" is for "Spitzer", i.e., - if my memory and Wiki serve me well(!), the  S Patrone or 7.92×57mm Mauser of 1903. If I remember aright this resulted in some changes to the receiver and so the need for the extra mark, but I am not really a gun-bod!

ShtLE303

No, it was not S marked.

trajan

Like I said, I am not a gun bod... I have just checked the one book I have on these carbines and I don't think the Kar.98 AZ was ever used with Spitzer's, but retained their original configuration. The Kar.88's were, though, apparently, re-milled to take the Spitzer.