Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fair Isle

Roger Stevenson

My first post on this amazing forum !

I am researching the WW1 Naval service record of my uncle, John Arthur Robinson TZ115518 He was on Fair Isle between 3rd of October 1918 and the 25th of February 1919

Question is, What was he doing on Fair Isle during that period

Little or nothing Information on the internet !

That period of course was only a month away from the end of the War,, although Germany didn't suspend submarine warfare until the 20th of October

Your help or information previously gained would be appreciated

Many thanks

Roger Stevenson in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.  

He was borne, for pay and administration purposes, on the books of HMS PRESIDENT IV. That section of the PRESIDENT Pay Office handled men drafted to service in the Coast Guard. He may have had a short draft as a signalman to Fair Isle Coast Guard. Can you read his previous and later drafts? He only qualified for the British War Medal so he cannot have served at sea.

Small correction: his Official Number was Tyneside Z/11518 (TZ/11518)

Edited by horatio2

Hi horatio2 and thanks for that information

The service record I have is brief

HMS Victory  31st July 1917 to 18th of January 1918

President IV 19th Jan 1918 to 2nd October 1918

Fair Isle 3rd October to 25th Feb 1919

Peterhead 26th Feb 1919 to 3rd July 1919

I have another query re his service at Peterhead 

Again, nothing on the Internet re the role of the Navy at Peterhead during that time

Peterhead could well be another Coast Guard draft. What is the first entry immediately preceding Fair Isle? It looks like "President IV Eastern??? Sunderland...???" from 19 Jan 18 but I cannot make it out,

Good morning horatio2

The information I gave re my Uncle's service is all I have !

You obviously have more detail

Would you be willing to send me a copy of the details you hold ?

I have contacted the library at Peterhead for possible more information

Will be back on my PC this evening, Sunday 10th of March

Thanks again, your contribution is much appreciated

The only sight I have of your uncle's record is that on the Kew website. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you had downloaded this and were quoting from it. The record is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7701004  - and I was attempting to read the preview, watermarked image on that link (clicking on "Preview an image of this record")

The preview shows a long (unreadable) entry immediately after "President IV" .

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

unreadable

I think your correct Horatioo2 and it reads Eastern Eastern.JPG.503ca019a77e998a968d86afde3f6af0.JPGthen Sunderland then O Sig. FindmyPast have a view here but I note that there were some additional pencil notes that are totally illegible.

I note his record also refers to copies to RA Rcds Woolwich 10/6/1926. You will find a (brief) Territorial attestation(No  770718) entry for him in 1926 on FindmyPast RA Attestations transcription  here

If you then click on image you will get the ledger page but it won't add a great deal but may be of interest?

Charlie

9 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The only sight I have of your uncle's record is that on the Kew website. I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you had downloaded this and were quoting from it. The record is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7701004  - and I was attempting to read the preview, watermarked image on that link (clicking on "Preview an image of this record")

The preview shows a long (unreadable) entry immediately after "President IV" .

Good evening horatio2 and thanks for the web site you have quoted which at the moment for whatever reason I can't access

Will keep trying !

Roger

Edited by Roger Stevenson
Correct alignment

7 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I think your correct Horatioo2 and it reads Eastern Eastern.JPG.503ca019a77e998a968d86afde3f6af0.JPGthen Sunderland then O Sig. FindmyPast have a view here but I note that there were some additional pencil notes that are totally illegible.

I note his record also refers to copies to RA Rcds Woolwich 10/6/1926. You will find a (brief) Territorial attestation(No  770718) entry for him in 1926 on FindmyPast RA Attestations transcription  here

If you then click on image you will get the ledger page but it won't add a great deal but may be of interest?

Charlie

Good evening charlie962 and thanks for the indication that information re my Uncle is available via Find My Past

I am not at this moment signed up to Find My Past, but know someone who is !