Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rebuilding Picardy after the war...books?

Last week I visited the Historial at Peronne, and was intrigued by a couple of small exhibits and films about the rebuilding of Picardy in the 1920s and 1930s. I have long had an interest in the work of Auguste Perret in the reconstruction of Le Havre and Amiens after WW2 but it got me thinking that I know nothing of the reconstruction of the villages and towns in Picardy after WWI. Amiens was severely damaged and I know Albert was levelled, along with Peronne and most villages between the two. 

Are there any books on the subject? I am guessing that they would be in French (not a problem for me to read) but are there books on this in any language? Also, what are the best books on the French civilian memories of WWI? It must have been truly horrific and I don't know how it all unfolded from a civilian perspective. I know my Great Uncle was billeted around Martinsart and Hedeauville so presumably many civilians stayed on among the fighting.

Edited by Guest

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Hugh Clout-After The Ruins gets several mentions in previous threads on this subject.

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle. "After the Ruins" looks perfect! Hugh Clout has written some interesting books on historical rural France, as well.

Edited by Guest

• Admin

If buying via Amazon or Abe books, please use the link in support the forum.

Michelle