Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify the purpose of this metal box?

Janeybee

Does it have a connection to WW1? It belonged to my Grandfather or his father, whose names were the same. I first saw it in 2016 at my father's house. I no longer know its whereabouts but am curious. From memory it measures about 18" x 11" x 6". 1895 was not my grandfather's war number. He was born in 1892.

Thanks for any insights, I have already learned from this forum about his Signaller's Brassards, as worn in some of the photos I have. He was a Telegraph Operator A and I am gradually piecing together more about his activity during the Great War from his notes and sites like this.

IMG_3898.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

Not my speciality but looks like the box used in tanks to hold ammunition strips for the Hotchkiss machine gun. They were sold after the war as good tool boxes.

That was my first initial thought,

similar box for comparison https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-british-wwi-hotchkiss-303-machine-gun-ammunition-box-and-belt-for-mark-v-tank

Also discussed on this thread

That's 15 pence for one box and 20P for two.  I would like some for the tool shed at that price

Cheers

Ross

Thanks Nigel, Andrew, Tony and all.

I'm fairly sure that's what it was, though it did not have compartments inside when I saw it. 

I'm glad to know what it was and that Grandpa would have acquired it after the war, and relieved that it wasn't a piece relating to his telegraphy work in wartime that I have lost!

I love the ad.

thanks again, what a helpful bunch,

Jane