Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet ID ?

stripeyman

The remains of this bayonet was given to me by a gentleman who obtained it from Varlet Farm. What is it please ?

Bayonate.jpg

Edited by stripeyman
Spelling !

Appears to be a German Ersatz bayonet from the early years of the war. There were a very large number of different models.

Second that.

Mike.

Indeed. An Ersatz. Looks to be a semi-cylindrical hilt, in which case with that clearance hole and the short lower quillon, and vestigal upper quillon, then an Ersatz Bayonet type 32 (according to Carter's system), used with the Gw.98 only, with a marked example indicating use by a machine gun company, photographs showing use by Baden, Saxon, and Upper Alsace units.

All ersatz bayonets were made in the period late 1914/early 1915 to late summer 1915. but continued in use to to November 1918.

8 minutes ago, trajan said:

Indeed. An Ersatz. Looks to be a semi-cylindrical hilt, in which case with that clearance hole and the short lower quillon, and vestigal upper quillon, then an Ersatz Bayonet type 32 (according to Carter's system), used with the Gw.98 only, with a marked example indicating use by a machine gun company, photographs showing use by Baden, Saxon, and Upper Alsace units.

All ersatz bayonets were made in the period late 1914/early 1915 to late summer 1915. but continued in use to to November 1918.

Absolutely correct dear Julian, once more!!!! 

42 minutes ago, zuluwar2006 said:

Absolutely correct dear Julian, once more!!!! 

Thanks for the confirmation D.! 

I still have a long way to go with these things having started so much later than you!

Edited by trajan

• 4 weeks later...

Apart from what C.Mery has in his book the only other marked example of an EB 32 that I know is for "M.G.K.206.98" which could be for Gebirgs-MG-Abteilungen 206, which I think is Bavarian.

Trajan