Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of IMDE - 24th August 1914

AlanCurragh

OK, bear with me folks. 

Mrs C and I have just booked a cottage somewhere within strking distance of Brussels, Ghent and Antwerp for a week over the New Year (we like to book way in advance) and have settled on a place in a village called Imde (formally called Impde), 15 or so km north of Brussels. And of couse I google the village to find out about its history. There is a single line in its Dutch language Wikipedia entry - 

"Op 24 augustus 1914 werd hier die slag van Impde gestreden."

And of course I am intrigued about the Battle of Imde/Impde

There doesn't appear to be anything on the GWF, and on googling "Battle of Imde/Impde", all I find is the following question being posed, and not answered (and for all I know, Dirk might be a member here) - 

Dirk Verbelen

Do you have any information on the 'battle' of Imde (Wolvertem) on 24 aug 2014. Some 85 Belgian soldiers were killed under 'friendly' fire. Probably the first real battle of the war but virtually undocumented because of the 'friendly' aspect. We are working on an exhibition in nov 2018 on this theme. Any related info would be much appreciated guys. Love you work and expertise. Dirk / Erfgoedkring Meise

My next step is to search for Erfgoedkring Meise (Meise is a neighboring village to Imde) and they have a website, with several downloads about the Great War, in particular the events of 24th August 1914. They are of course all in Dutch, but feature photos of men, locations in the village including information boards, and maps.

http://erfgoedberla.be/items/browse?collection=8

So I will likely contact the website to get more information, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about what happened? Or even an English language publication that might mention it?

Thanks in advance

Alan

Do you read Dutch? I have some info on it.

It happened during the 1st Sortie from Antwerp, it was, for a part a German Ambush and even a blue on blue incident. it involved 2nd Chasseurs a Pied.

Edited by Niko

Sadly I don't speak Dutch, Niko, but Google Chrome has translated that website you linked to - and it is just what I was looking for. Many thanks...