Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR officer's uniform

daggers

In the Ships & Navies section I posted a query about Temp. Lieut Victor L. Edwards, RNVR, and received some valuable information.

A photo of him is in the IWM/Lives of the First World War site, which I am unable to show here, but if anyone cares to look they may be able to explain oddities in his uniform.  That site can be found by entering his name in Google.

Naval cap, but probably khaki service dress, shirt and tie; two cuff rings, plain, not wavy; three pips on shoulders; Sam Browne belt [not aligned correctly].

The photo is described as taken after he joined and he served with the Armoured Car Division in Russia, where he died and was buried. 

Any comments welcome!

Daggers

Nothing unusual there except for the misaligned Sam Browne (must try harder). RNVR officers in khaki uniform (eg RN Division) did not wear 'wavy' rings and did wear the equivalent army shoulder markings.

Thank you for that.  I have not dealt much with RND and similar, but there’s always something new to learn.

D

Ms Maggie Edwards, the grand-daughter of V L Edwards, has published two photographs on the IWM Lives of the First World War site
One of his grave, which I am pleased to say looks well after CWGC work in 2017
and a second of the newly enlisted RNVR officer himself
As the latter is shown there miss-aligned and consequently
 difficult to view, I am taking the liberty of adding it here

1756011250_VLEdwardsRNVR.jpg.ed1fb29b831ddcca3b2054b136468d9b.jpg