Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/Welch 1-3 October 1915, Loos

FrancesH

I am looking for accounts of the 1st Welch during these three days, when they made an attack on Little Willie trench. I have gone through the War Diary but would greatly value any firsthand accounts( I can't see anything in the IWM) as well as any modern account which puts the attack in the context of the battle as a whole. What I have seen so far focuses on the fighting during September. All advice greatly appreciated.

• Admin

In the context of the battle, in spite of the heavy losses to both the 1st and 6th Battalions, the actions around this period weremerely a footnote with little or no strategic gain.

In his ninth Despatch French describes the period as, ‘fighting was almost continuous along the Northern part of the new line particularly about the Hohenzollern Redoubt and neighbouring trenches, to which the enemy evidently attached great value.”

The Long Long Trail has an invaluable introduction to the battle with an extensive timeline.  

Have you seen this earlier thread?  Although it relies on the war diaries there is a very good summary of the short but vicious hand to hand fighting with both sides killing each other with bayonet and bomb until the Welsh were Obliged to evacuate the position.

Ken

Dai Bach, thank you for this! I was anxious to get it right and am sorry I got it wrong. In my defence I would just like to say that in both the War Diary and in my chap's service record both spellings are used indiscriminately ... very confusing. 

And Ken, many thanks for putting me onto this. I do indeed know who Major Hobbs was (from the WD of course). I will read the thread through. I agree that this particular incident was of no special significance -- it was just that having read the WD I wondered if there were any firsthand accounts of what was clearly a horrible experience for those involved. The Welsh (1st and 6th) were pushed increasingly into the centre with attacks from both flanks, more or less forced to trample over their own dead and wounded. Of course this was not unique, I just wondered if anyone had written/spoken about it. 

Thank you both again for responding.

Having read through the account on the other thread it's really helpful so thank you again. It may be worth adding that my particular interest in this incident is because of 2nd Lieutenant T.J.C. Davies, who was listed as wounded but was never seen again after this incident.