Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandfather's WWI Diary - in a personal code

Zee

I'm working on a project to "decode" my grandfather's WWI diary which is in what I would call a personal code.  It's handwritten into a little flip notebook.  I'll attach a page or two.

He started with the New Bedford boys but switched to the tank corps. I have a news article that he wrote for his hometown paper. My grandfather, Harry Ashworth, served as a sergeant with Eisenhower, who was his captain.  I have the framed (by my grandfather) promotion document signed by Eisenhower.  

Omar Bradley became a lifelong friend.  I also have his helmet and some pictures.

If anyone has an idea or a place for me to start or get more information or help, please let me know.  

Thank you!

Ashworth WWOne Diary Page 1.jpg

Ashworth WWI Diary p 2.jpg

Ashworth WWI Diary pg 4.jpg

Ashworth WWI Diary p 5.jpg

Ashworth WWI Diary p 3.jpg

• Admin

Hi Zee and welcome to the forum!

It looks like a fascinating challenge and I am sure there will be some who can assist you in the task along shortly.

In the meantime the only advice I am able to offer is to suggest that you try to compare the newspaper article to the relevant diary pages to see if that helps?

Good luck and please do keep us updated with progress.

Regards

David

8 minutes ago, Open Bolt said:

Some of the symbols might be shorthand, I think there were many variants at that time.

That's what I was thinking - narrowing by his job might help.

Craig

Zee,

What you have there is a Masonic cipher. It would appear that your grandfather was a Mason.  Were you aware of his membership?

Trust this helps.

George 

1.  I think he might have been a Mason. I’ll have to check. 

2.  He seemed to have many occupations.  My aunt (his daughter) told me he had the first car service on Martha’s Vineyard and sent me pictures. He seemed fairly young so it might be around the time of the war.  

3. After the war he married and moved to Los Angeles. He had a manufacturing plant for making parts for airplanes and cars. He also made pipes.  My uncle told me the grandpa put all the plumbing in the schools and municipal buildings in Los Angeles.  He invested well and had money, but nobody would have ever known. 

4. He invented a part to the radio. 

5. He was an airplane inspector during WWII. 

I think lots of the words have the vowels missing, leaving just consonants. e.g.  "lot ws sd to u fm within (?)"

8 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Matt,

Ancestry has some Masonic records. There are 4 different Harry Ashworth's mentioned, born in about 1870, 1882, 1883 & 1889. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/ukfreemasonregisters/?name=HARRY_ASHWORTH&count=50&name_x=1_1

Regards,

Alf McM

My grandfather was born in Fall River, Mass, in 1893.  I was trying to pull up Mason membership in USA.  

My great-grandfather, also Harry Ashworth, was born in 1869.  There's one HA in the list that might work, but upon pulling up the list, there's a note that he died and date.  Not his date.  He became a US citizen and lived in Mass, although he did go back and forth to England.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 00:47, Zee said:

I also have his helmet and some pictures 

I cant help with the mystery of the code but I would love to see that helmet and any photos in uniform.

8 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

I cant help with the mystery of the code but I would love to see that helmet and any photos in uniform.

OKay...

Since I just started on this forum, are there preferred places to post photos?

1 hour ago, Zee said:

OKay...

Since I just started on this forum, are there preferred places to post photos?

I would suggest either posting them in this thread or just make a thread in 'Soldiers' about him and include the photos in that thread. 

Okay.... posting pictures of my grandfather. This is his group (not the whole photo) of New Bedford Boys.  He's the second from the right..

Ashworth w:New Bedford Boys.jpg

This is the "official" photo of  Harry Ashworth, Jr. 

Harry Ashworth Portrait.jpg

Harry Ashworth service record, Honorable Discharge, and promotion to Sergeant (2nd time, see news article above) signed by D.D. Eisenhower, Captain

Ashworth Honorable Discharge Army 1919.jpg

Harry Ashworth Service Record WWI.jpg

Ashworth WWI Sgt Promotion Signed by Capt Eisenhower.jpg

Eisenhower's signature on the original is very clear, but I cannot take the document out of the frame so it doesn't really copy very well.