Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Scotland: Great War things to see?

b3rn

Hi all, we're visiting Scotland at Christmas. My partner has Scapa Flow on the itinerary, but do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Scapa in December could be interesting. You would probably get the feel of what it was like! Also remember the days will be very short.

There is also much else worth seeing in Orkney itself.

I will think about WW1 things to see. To some extent it depends on which route you will be following in Scotland.

To begin with here are some of the museums:

Fort George well worth a visit in general, but also contains the Highlanders Museum:

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/fort-george/

Gordon Highlanders Museum (Aberdeen):

http://www.gordonhighlanders.com/

Black Watch Museum (Perth):

https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/

Stirling Castle:

https://www.stirlingcastle.scot/

Again well worth a look on its own, but contains the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Museum.

Edinburgh Castle:

https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/

Well worth a look on its own but contains two military museums and the Scottish National War Memorial.

There are more museums which I will add later (if someone else doesn't). I have tried to concentrate on those potentially on a route north.

Always check opening times and days. In winter and especially around Christmas and New Year a number of things will have restricted opening. (A Historic Scotland building near me closes altogether for the winter and many Pictish standing stones in the open are boxed in for the winter to preserve them.)

I hope this gives you a start.

RM

Royal Naval cemeteries at Lyness and Osmundwall on Hoy, also the RN visitor centre at Lyness at the top of the jetty.

GW memorial gateway to the cemetery by St Magnus' Cathedral Kirkwall (more CWGC graves there I think) and Royal Oak memorial inside the cathedral (Jutland survivor sunk WW2). Two of the GW blockships can just be made out near the Churchill Barriers.

'Scotland's First World War' by Kevin Munro has some modern photographs with some period maps, it is perhaps a bit glossy rather than detailed, but you might consider it in preparation. Perhaps others have better suggestions?

The Scottish National War Memorial within Edinburgh Castle. 

Leith Cemetery with the memorial to the dead of the Quintishill Disaster is well worth a visit if you are near Edinburgh.

If by any chance you're going as far as Lewis, the memorial to HMY iolaire, and the site of its sinking. 

Beware with the Aryll's museum in Stirling: it's closed for refurbishment and I'm not sure when it re-opens.

As the steady run of pictures from Forum member mbriscoe on this Forum shows, there are many, many splendid war memorials to see

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Heid the Ba: 3 weeks. Itinerary is still a work in progress!

You probably wouldn't have time to see it, but Bangour War Hospital is still standing and can be visited at any time. Most of the original Great War period buildings are stll there, though a bit derelict and closed. Other buildings are from WW2 and later. There were a number of Australian patients at Bangour. This video gives a good idea of the site. 

Regards,

Alf McM

I bought this when we were in Orkney (2016). It's only just made it to the top of the pile but I'm enjoying it so far.

IMG_20190311_003056.jpg

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:56, Keith Woodland said:

Leith Cemetery with the memorial to the dead of the Quintishill Disaster is well worth a visit if you are near Edinburgh.

It is actually in Rosebank Cemetery in Pilrig, I'm being pedantic as there are also North and South Leith Cemeteries.

Trevor Royle is an all-round Good Egg. Written some excellent books about a raft of Scottish military (and other) history

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Trevor Royle is an all-round Good Egg. Written some excellent books about a raft of Scottish military (and other) history

Good to know! I'm reading a few pieces every evening and am making notes of other books to track down.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Good to know! I'm reading a few pieces every evening and am making notes of other books to track down.

Flowers of the Forest is an excellent Scottish history of the GW; A Time of Tyrants is a 2nd WW companion, which I have not yet read. His book on Culloden is also very good.

In the (not A) Time of Tyrants is the title of a William Soutar poem; I wonder if there's any mention...

Soutar served with the RN during the GW, was invalided out with the beginnings of ankylosing spondylitis which left him paralysed for the last 14 years of his life after a failed operation, and died in 1947.

https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/time-tyrants/

Kitchener/HMS Hampshire Memorial on Orkney - well worth the walk, (and the sea birds nesting in the cliffs below are amazing, too!) 

The 6-inch shore battery on Orkney is mostly WW2, but there are still some remnants of the original WW1 construction. The guided tour is ... interesting.

Mike

If by chance you don't feel up to the Marwick Head walk, you can get a good view of it in the distance from the car-park on the landward side of the Brough of Birsay (access to which is wheelchair-unfriendly in the extreme).

If you have an interest in visiting cemeteries, there are also Australians from WW1 buried in Scotland, for example, war worker  Robert Brown is buried at Inveresk, near Edinburgh. I paid him a visit around this time last year. 

Mike

Also four Royal Australian Navy men buried in the RN Cemetery Lyness on Hoy: click here.

East Fortune aerodrome near Haddington houses the Museum of Flight. This site was a RNAS air station

in WW1, and has material from that era including original footage of aeroplanes practising torpedo attacks

against ship targets. The intention was to launch a torpedo strike against the German High Seas Fleet.

The war ended before this could be achieved. 

Also packed with aircraft from WW2 and if I remember correctly Concorde and a Vulcan?

Regards

Geoff

Black watch museum Perth, recommended

Stobs WW1 POW camp is worth a visit. But wrap up well if you go in December! The museum in Hawick has some nice items from the Camp. And if you take a drive up the Spey Valley your find some nice WW1 memorials and excellent warming drinks. :D