Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Les Carlyon - RIP

moggs

Les Carlyon has died.  Excellent journalist, historian and author.  His books - Gallipoli and The Great War - are very compelling documents.  His work assisted me greatly in developing my own knowledge base.

Thank you Les.

Jonathan

Sad to hear that. Enjoyed his books, particularly the Western Front book, enormously and often refer back to them.

Scott. 

Sad Sad news found both his works very enjoyable, interesting and invaluable assistance in my early years of trying to understand and appreciate the great war Rest In Peace Les you forever live on in your works

Cheers Les, Keith.

Sad news indeed. 'Gallipoli' is on my bookshelves but I wasn't aware of another work. Available outside Oz?

Martin Bennitt, first non-Aussie to reply

9 minutes ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Sad news indeed. 'Gallipoli' is on my bookshelves but I wasn't aware of another work. Available outside Oz?

Martin Bennitt, first non-Aussie to reply

This one Martin-

https://www.amazon.com.au/Great-War-Carlyon/dp/1405037997

Great book.

Not sure if it is available in the UK. Plenty of used copies down under. Note that the hardback in particular is a heavy book.

Scott

His book on Gallipoli written in the easy style of a journalist is a great read and recommended to anyone wanting an introduction to the subject

Very sorry to learn of his passing

There are three copies of 'The Great War' listed on Amazon UK, around £26, which is a bit less than I paid for mine. Which is still on my to-read list. I did find Gallipoli a cracking read. 

13 hours ago, michaeldr said:

His book on Gallipoli written in the easy style of a journalist is a great read and recommended to anyone wanting an introduction to the subject

Very sorry to learn of his passing

I agree Michael, Gallipoli was a great way for me to try and understand the overall campaign on the peninsula, and to find details of  particular battles of individuals I was researching. Then later, appreciated the Great War.

Vale, rest in peace Les

Shirley

Agreed: his Gallipoli book is very good. Sad news.