Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army/navy/air force equipment/monetary losses due to theft/fraud

TGM

Good evening, All.

I've stumbled across some interesting details and stories in newspaper articles for the period about army losses, theft and fraud  which led me one or two of the appropriation accounts for said period. Has anyone studied army/navy/air force equipment/monetary losses due to theft/fraud?

Edited by TGM

Not studied particularly but one of the Surrey Association roll of honour men I researched was court martialled, imprisoned and discharged due to his involvement in the theft and sale of army blankets.  Interestingly there are letters in the file from senior officers basically saying it's not fair to those who have volunteered that he should get away without dangerous service overseas due to his thievery.  He did subsequently re-enlist, give false details as to previous service, and kept his nose clean.  The letters in his original file did make me wonder if there was some (un)official connivance in his re-enlistment, which was almost straight after his release from prison.

There was rather frequent theft of horses and equipment with one British unit stealing from another - and in one case Australians stealing a horse from a British RFA battery, which two days later stole back that horse along with two other Australian horses.

I came across a case where a unit at Ypres left their packs just behind the line as they were rushed forward - they returned to find that the packs has been ransacked. Prime suspects would appear to have been a DLI battalion who were in the area but I don't think anything came of it.

Craig

Thank you, all above, for some interesting examples.

I noted from a few newspaper articles and appropriation accounts some losses due to accidents/mishap, but some large scale losses suggest organised crime/opportunism:

See article attached: The Times, 27 March 2017, p.5

losses The Times 27 March 2017.JPG

Edited by TGM