Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J Sharples 200813, Loyal North Lancashire

Don Regiano

I have recently come across an "embroidered memorial" to the above soldier.  I cannot find anything on him as far as MICs are concerned or on the CWGC website.  Maybe he didn't die during the war or not gone abroad.  The nearest I can come across is a J W Sharples who had two service numbers: 1119 and 200230.  On the off chance, I had a look in my copy of Kevin Shannon's book on the 4th Bn LNL.  There is a soldier listed by the name of Joseph Shearman with the number 200818 and interestingly, there is a Pte James Round with the number 200813.  I don't know if this series was allocated solely to the 4th Bn.  If so, there is some intrigue here.  However, if similar numbers were allocated to other battalions of the LNL I guess a longer trawl is needed.

I know Kevin is a member of this forum but I can't remember his username.

Any Views?

Reg

Edited by Don Regiano
my senility in confusing LNL and the King's Own

Find my Past has a medical record for 200813  J Sharples  1/4 Loyal North Lancs.  31 Ambulance Train 24/10/1918,  Myalgia.

Bob

6 digit numbers were unique within a regiment. There should be only 1 person within the LNL with #200813.

Craig

Hi Reg,

From the medal rolls might this is your man?

image.png.3bbad3fae493e9b0b83c4ea58eb07f68.png

image.png.04bd1136ca33c1160940c26cda8f49c9.png

Image source: Ancestry.co.uk

Regards

Chris

Edit:

(1) A link to his MIC on Ancestry is here

(2) It looks like he probably joined up in mid October 1914. From surviving service papers from the 4th Bn, it seems that when they were renumbered in 1917, the men (that were still serving at that time) were issued their new 6 digit number based sequentially on their previous 4 digit number.

2913/200801 Parkinson joined 14.10.1914 

2914/200802 Barker joined 14.10.1914

2925/200808 Moore joined 16.10.1914

2933/200813

2943/200818 Parkinson joined 20.10.1914

2955/200827 Brown joined 20.10.1914

2960/200828 Gillibrand joined 20.10.1914

2961/200829 Miller joined 20.10.1914

(3) 200813 Round seems to have been a King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) man, as was 200818 Shearman.

Edited by clk

Thank you to all for your replies which have been extremely helpful.  I don't know why I couldn't find his MIC but all is OK now.  Also, I have amended my original post to take account of my increasing senility which Chris pointed out in a very subtle way.  I really must do better.

Bob, thanks for the pm with the medical record.  I understood everything but couldn't make out the place where he detrained.  (I got Laventie OK as where he entrained).

J Sharples.jpg

Hi Bob.

Thanks.  That would make sense - near Boulogne.  I am not an expert regarding the area or time frame for this.

Thanks again.

Reg

Hello

It might be a good idea to contact Paul McCormick  at https://www.loyalregiment.com/

They may be able to track down more information or already have some on this J Sharples

If they don't … then at least they will have another name to add to their list of research

And if you have a picture of the  "embroidered memorial" its could be recorded for evidence etc

Cheers 

John

21 hours ago, johnmelling1979 said:

Hello

It might be a good idea to contact Paul McCormick  at https://www.loyalregiment.com/

They may be able to track down more information or already have some on this J Sharples

If they don't … then at least they will have another name to add to their list of research

And if you have a picture of the  "embroidered memorial" its could be recorded for evidence etc

Cheers 

John

Hi John.

Thanks for the tip.  I will follow it up.

In the meantime here is a photo of the "embroidered memorial".

Reg

DSC06413.JPG

Just a thought on the 'memorial', didn't some men make these themselves while convalescent? Thought there was an old thread on something of the sort, but alas not in a position to look for it right now.

Cheers, Pat

PS hope this isn't stating the bleedin' obvious, apologies if so! Not enjoying accessing the forum on my phone... 

Not a problem Pat.  Thanks for your input.  I can't progress it further at the moment - out on a very wet and windy Somme.

Reg