Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

rolt968

Colonel Potter's WW1 Medal - MASH

rolt968

I am sometimes a little worried that looking for WW1 related material seems to be with me all the time!

As one or two people may have noticed the True Entertainment TV Channel has been rerunning MASH.

I noticed in one of the recent programs that there is a medal in a small glass frame on the wall of Col Potter's office behind his desk. I think it is an (Allied) Victory Medal. Has anyone else noticed? (I have never noticed before during any of the original or subsequent re-runs.)

(For those too young to remember. Col Potter was the second CO of 4077 MASH. Part of his back story was that he had served in WW1 as an underage cavalryman.)

Roger.

Staffsyeoman

Presumably one of these - the US issue. The Americans issued 'battle clasps' for their medal and this is an example.

http://www.medal-medaille.com/images/US161a.jpg

Wiki has a list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_Victory_Medal_%28United_States%29

rolt968

I thank I raised this before some years ago, but can't find it.

The reruns of M.A.S.H. on True Entertainment have reached the point of the arrival of Colonel Sherman T Potter. His back story includes service in the ranks aged 15 having lied about his age in WW1.In the episode of his arrival he unpacks a framed medal which he explains proudly is an other ranks Good Conduct Medal. We never see the actual medal only the back of the frame. I think that the Army Good Conduct Medal Ribbon is maroon with white stripes (But was it in WW1?)

Later on in the series there is a framed medal (The only one I remember.) on the wall in his office, but I think from its ribbon that it is a Victory Medal.

Has anyone else noticed?

RM

DavidOwen

Hi

Looks like this is the thread?

rolt968
Just now, DavidOwen said:

Hi

Looks like this is the thread?

Thanks David. Perhaps the Mods could combine them?

Michelle Young

As requested , threads merged

rolt968

Thanks, Michelle.

BullerTurner

The US Army GCM is of a similar style to the Victory Medal but the ribbon is indeed burgundy, with three, thin, white stripes at each end.

rolt968
4 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

The US Army GCM is of a similar style to the Victory Medal but the ribbon is indeed burgundy, with three, thin, white stripes at each end.

Thank you.

I shall have to watch for the medal on the wall now!

RM

Ron Clifton

In one of last night's episodes on True Entertainment, the medal was fairly clearly visible in the background. It appears to be a silver medal, and the ribbon closely resembles that of the British MC. In neither of these respects does it appear to be the Victory Medal.

Ron

rolt968
1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

In one of last night's episodes on True Entertainment, the medal was fairly clearly visible in the background. It appears to be a silver medal, and the ribbon closely resembles that of the British MC. In neither of these respects does it appear to be the Victory Medal.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

Of course I missed last night's episode! I will try to catch it in the big rerun at the weekend. It sounds as if it is the US Army GCM.

(An odd thought! Potter is regular army. Wouldn't he expect to wear the medal (whichever it is) on formal occasions?)

RM

Steven Broomfield

Having always found the TV programmes of MASH to be best avoided, I know not of what you speak, but if he's American, surely he would have had rather more than ONE medal to display?

rolt968
1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Having always found the TV programmes of MASH to be best avoided, I know not of what you speak, but if he's American, surely he would have had rather more than ONE medal to display?

According to the "back story" he has other medals notably for WW2, but is particularly proud of his WW1 medal(s) as he served in the ranks having volunteered under age.

RM

Andrew Upton

Looked online and found this:

Image result for colonel potter mash

Looks like the US version of the WW1 Victory Medal as suggested in the OP to me:

Image result for us ww1 victory medal

rolt968
4 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Looked online and found this:

Image result for colonel potter mash

Looks like the US version of the WW1 Victory Medal as suggested in the OP to me:

Image result for us ww1 victory medal

Thank you!

Excellent!

That's what I thought I saw! Interesting - no clasps!

I wonder if the GCM is also there somewhere?

RM

Andrew Upton
1 minute ago, rolt968 said:

Thank you!

Excellent!

That's what I thought I saw! Interesting - no clasps!

I wonder if the GCM is also there somewhere?

RM

Though at that resolution clasps might be there and just too blurred to make out individually. And from post three it's possible someone in props made a change along the way...

rolt968
25 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

And from post three it's possible someone in props made a change along the way...

Very true!

RM

Steven Broomfield

And we might assume that, it being pretend and all, the research wasn't entirely robust.

rolt968
7 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

And we might assume that, it being pretend and all, the research wasn't entirely robust.

True.

“Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.”

RM

Steven Broomfield

My thoughts exactly. :blink:

Ron Clifton
On 21/03/2019 at 15:14, rolt968 said:

True.

“Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.”

RM

Pooh! Bah!

Ron