Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Legion selling medals?

adam1981

I have seen that the British Legion are selling groups of medals, assumed for fund raising. I understand that they fave much more 'competition' now from the various other organisations around. However my concern is that these medals were given to them by the recipient or their family, probably to be displayed/kept safe, but to be sold? 

Maybe people have donated them for fund raising.

Please let me know if there is more to this and I haven't got my facts correct, I am interested to know and happy to be corrected.

I will not be reading the catalogue, but as a regular contributor to the BL, I will be very annoyed if they are selling anything that has been donated to them which wasn’t with the express desire that it should be sold.

Yeah I know nothing about the circumstances, it could be they were given a collection to sell. My initial horror was a thought of them selling ones that had been given to them for keeping over time.

Edited by adam1981

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:21, adam1981 said:

Yeah I know nothing about the circumstances, it could be they were given a collection to sell. My initial horror was a thought of them selling ones that had been given to them for keeping over time.

The RBL does not have any kind of museum or safe deposit for items. All donations are accepted on the basis that they will be converted into cash and used for the benefit of those who need help. The RBL is a charity at the thick end and needs support and funding , which they get in many ways.