Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harland and Wolff memorial Liverpool

steve parlanti

Hi. I'm trying to find information concerning the Harland and Wolff WW1 memorial that was located in Liverpool, particularly images, the sculptor, and the date of unveiling. I know from previous posts that at some stage it was removed from its site (must have been after 1958 at the earliest) and was for sale on eBay! The reason for asking is that it was cast into bronze by my great grandfather (E J Parlanti of Fulham), and I'm trying to build a database of his castings. Many other WW1 memorials were cast by him. Many thanks.

• Admin

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum

There is a Facebook page which seems to suggest it was seen in a Northern Irish Scrapyard - the owner having purchased it. However the link won't let me see the actual content.

Still looking...

Good luck!

David

image.png.56e2da05808512edc4448ed9545a68d9.png

On 04/03/2019 at 11:40, DavidOwen said:

Steve

Just a thought have you checked with H&W in Belfast as they might have bought it back?

David

I went down this line in 2010 (on another thread) H&W were very helpful but they had no knowledge of its whereabouts at that stage

On 04/03/2019 at 19:39, Kath said:

Steve, I expect you have this:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1020011184

Letter from Elsie Maud Inglis. Unit: Scottish Women's Hospitals, to E.J.Parlanti.

Is this the Memorial?

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/244650/

Kath.

Those I think are the memorial tablets for the Belfast shipyard. The memorial for the Liverpool depôt seems to have vanished into the Ulster mist 

Hi everyone. Many thanks for your comments and help. Nothing has come to light yet, but I have a few enquiries still out and so am optimistic. If anything does turn up I'll be certain to post it. Steve

4 hours ago, steve parlanti said:

Hi everyone. Many thanks for your comments and help. Nothing has come to light yet, but I have a few enquiries still out and so am optimistic. If anything does turn up I'll be certain to post it. Steve

Steve,

Good luck with this.

Ian

• Admin

Steve

Have you tried getting in touch with the local BBC  News stations for Liverpool and Northern Ireland?

I would think both may be interested in such a story.

David

On 16/03/2019 at 16:10, DavidOwen said:

Steve

Have you tried getting in touch with the local BBC  News stations for Liverpool and Northern Ireland?

I would think both may be interested in such a story.

David

David, thanks for this. I haven't yet approached any local news stations, but I will certainly try as soon as I hear back from the couple of outstanding enquiries that I have out. Regards. Steve

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

That article was written 12 years ago, according to the date on it.

Yes I know, just trying to follow the trail

It's a colourful trail to follow via Google

Edited by Ian Riley

• 1 month later...

I managed to contact the owner of the plaque, and he has sent me a couple of images. For some reason I had thought previously that it may have been a figurative memorial, but as you can see it is a plaque. I had wondered if it was the same as the Belfast memorial, but I understand the Belfast memorial comprises of 3 plaques to accommodate all of the names of the fallen.

H&W LIverpool 1.JPG

H&W LIverpool 2.JPG

Steve,

Absolutely top marks for persistence where others (including myself) have failed. The images are brilliant  and at least it appears to be still extant. I think this provides the first record of the names on the memorial. 

We need to think in Liverpool what might be done. 

Ian

44 minutes ago, daggers said:

Well done, tracking it down.  What next!

Be great if it could somehow be bought back/brought back to its rightful home in Liverpool.

33 minutes ago, steve parlanti said:

Be great if it could somehow be bought back/brought back to its rightful home in Liverpool.

Congratulations on your promotion to GWF Lance Corporal - you have achieved more than some have done in 1000 posts!

I will email separately - clearly any negotiations here will be quite sensitive.- and there are others better placed in Liverpool to suggest ways forward. 

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley
Typo

I have had a quick peek at CWGC for three of the less usual names visible on the plaque: Waydock, Snaylan and Gownalock.

The first was from Bootle, the second [SnaylaM on CWGC] from Kirkdale, the third from Runcorn.

This seems to confirm that the plaque is indeed from the Merseyside branch, rather than Belfast.  I am sure that, with time, someone will be able to go further than I can today.

D

On 03/05/2019 at 10:33, daggers said:

I have had a quick peek at CWGC for three of the less usual names visible on the plaque: Waydock, Snaylan and Gownalock.

The first was from Bootle, the second [SnaylaM on CWGC] from Kirkdale, the third from Runcorn.

This seems to confirm that the plaque is indeed from the Merseyside branch, rather than Belfast.  I am sure that, with time, someone will be able to go further than I can today.

D

In my excitement to post images I failed to have a proper look at the images. You can clearly see at the top of the plaque Liverpool under the H&W.