Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Uniform Please

Hi jay dubaya,

I take it that’s St Helens, Lancashire?, is it the helmet plate and/or the belt buckle that is/are the clues, I lived in St Helens for a while.

Regards,

Derek.

T’is the helmet plate Derek, I could be wrong though, but definitely a police helmet c1890

I agree that Collar numbers and style of tunic as well as helmet confirm police.  The centre of the badge does not look quite right for St Helen's.  I wonder if it's Liverpool City?  The centre looks like a Liver Bird, but that force wore a crested rather than spiked helmet.

St Helen's Police.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

32 minutes ago, rogerh0343 said:

Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Kind regards

Roger

You might be able to find some more information here: http://liverpoolcitypolice.co.uk/st-helens-borough-police/4558448719

There were a number of Lancashire County Boroughs which had their own separate police forces until 1969, when they were all incorporated into Lancashire Constabulary. These included Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Burnley, Oldham, Preston, Rochdale, Southport, St Helens and Wigan. A number of borough forces in the county were absorbed into the County force in 1947.

Ron

5 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

There were a number of Lancashire County Boroughs which had their own separate police forces until 1969, when they were all incorporated into Lancashire Constabulary. These included Blackburn, Blackpool, Bolton, Burnley, Oldham, Preston, Rochdale, Southport, St Helens and Wigan. A number of borough forces in the county were absorbed into the County force in 1947.

Ron

Yes it could be from a range of of constabularies, the key I think is matching the 3 key features, the emblem in the centre of the helmet badge, the helmet style itself, spike, crest, or cone top, and the design of the waist belt plate.  A police insignia aficionado should probably narrow it down.