Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Farr

maudson

I recently asked about a soldier called David Farr (Suffolks) which Craig kindly gave me some guidance.. I am also struggling with his older brother John, who was christened Christopher John Farr in 1887 in Haynes in Bedordshire. He married Mary Ann Dicks 25/12/1909 and they moved to Wellingborough and then Ringstead in Northamptonshire. There was another John Farr born 1888 - also in Haynes - whose records do exist. The Ringstead Roll of Honour shows that my John Farr had been in France and Belgium with the 8th Royal Fusiliers and had been released to munitions and demobilised. There are a number of J. Farrs but none that seem to fit with these details. The nearest one seems to be G/51907 who was in 20th Royal Fusiliers 2/2/16 - 04/02/18 and 4th 05/02/18 - 13/07/18 - but as the 8th was disbanded in February 1918 this cannot be the man. Is it possible that there is no medal card for (Christopher) John Farr and would an ordinary soldier have been "released to munitions"? Any help appreciated

Is it possible that there is no medal card for (Christopher) John Farr and would an ordinary soldier have been "released to munitions"?

A man could be released to munitions works, normally where he was a skilled man and it was deemed he was of more use doing that than being at the front. Do you know that he did undertake munitions work ?

If he served only at home there would (usually) be no medal index card so it's a possibility there is no card but you mention that it is suggested he served overseas so there should be a card - any idea if he did serve overseas other than what is on the roll of honour ?

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

The nearest one seems to be G/51907

G/51907 seems to date from the end of May / start of June 1916.

Married and being born in 1887 would put a man in Group 34  - called up for service as of 29 May 1916

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Craig.

He was a farm labourer so no appropriate skills. The only information which I can definitely tie to him is the Roll of Honour details which state he was in France and Belgium etc. It often gives the last Battalion served in - the 8th in this case - but as the 8th disbanded in February 1918 - it seems likely that he left it before or at that time.

David

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the 1918 Absent Voters list for Ringstead:

411951848_FarrRingsteadAVL.jpg.9dbbd98ab1c27c9ebba048fafe028263.jpg

It suggests that you have the right man and that the details on the roll of Honour aren't necessarily right.

Steve.

Steve. Many thanks again. This is a resource that I have foolishly not used. I will look at what I have written again.

Best Wishes

David

Hi Steve. I realise now why I do not use the Absent Voter's List for Ringstead. I cannot find them. They are not on Ancestry or FMP (although some areas are) or in Peterborough Archives. I would be grateful to know where I can get a copy. Best Wishes. David