Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information required

Hi, 

i am researching my family tree but am struggling to find anything at all about me great grandad H Hewitt. All we have is his medals from the First World War showing he was P-2357 lance corporal H Hewitt MFP. On ancestry we can find his list of medals but nothing else in the WW1 records. Is there anywhere else I can search? 

Thanks

Good afternoon, I am trying to find information about my great grandad. All we know is that he was in the Military Foot police and was P-2357 Lance corporal H Hewitt. This information is from the medals we have. We don’t even know his first name but think he was from the Lancashire area. Any help as to where we can go to get any information would be appreciated.

Kim. 

This is his Medal Index Card in The National Archives at Kew, downloadable for £3.50 - I am no expert but I am not sure if it will tell you much more than you have already (except his first posting to a theatre of war).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D2839204

The same information will be on FindMyPast which you should be able to access for free at your local public library.

Via Ancestry too - he was in France from 15.12.15 to 02.10.18 according to his Military Police Corps medal roll (showing he was previously in the MFP). Awarded the 1914/15 Star (MPC), British War and Victory medals. No christian name on the rolls or MIC sorry to say. Do you have any details of relations?

Mike

Edited by Langdon

• Admin

Kim,

Welcome to the forum.I have merged this with the other post you made about the same man to avoid confusion and repetition of replies.

Michelle

Hi Kim,

Sorry, I don't have any info on him other than his number indicates that he was first serving with the MFP in October/November 1915. Sadly, the Corps Order Books for 1915 are lost, so I can't tell you if he transferred from another unit into the MP (as most did), or if he was a direct enlistment into the MP (as the majority of civilian policemen did). 1915 was peak enlistment from civilian coppers - between Nos P2350 and P2370, we have occupation details of nine men, eight of them are Police Officers. He wasn't awarded the Silver War Badge, and he doesn't seem to have any awards or honours. 

I will keep looking.

Cheers,

Richard

Just looked for H Hewitt on FreeBmd and too many to make a judgement, an area to look in would help! 

A search in the census should take you back to you gt grandfather and give you a Christian name, library’s usually have free access to ancestry and Findmypast.

Den

Kim, you really must work back from what you know is true.

Starting with your parents, then your grandparents to find out how 'H. Hewitt' is related to you. You probably need your parents and grandparents' birth and marriage certificates to identify him correctly.