Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Alan24

SWB Number Problem

Recommended Posts

Alan24

I have in front of me a Silver War Badge with number B78862.

 

It should be so easy to link this to a man, done it many times, but really struggling this time.

 

On Ancestry tried;

B78862

B 78862

B/78862

B-78862

B788*

 

All results return just 1 suggestion, William Pritchard,  RA. with badge number 78862.

 

I don't think this is the correct man due to the lack of B in the number and the only other thing I have to go on is i was told the man should have been with the ASC, but that could completely wrong.

 

Regards 

 

Alan 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Keith_history_buff

This came up okay via FMP, and presented the record relating to 626488 Private James Stracham Labour Corps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hmsk212

Hi

 

I have reported the problem to Ancestry who admit that there is a fault with the search facility if searching using badge number only. This only happens with B prefixed badges and has been happening for about a week now. They say they are making efforts to fix the problem but a few more gentle reminders from other customers may speed things along.

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alan24
2 hours ago, Keith_history_buff said:

This came up okay via FMP, and presented the record relating to 626488 Private James Stracham Labour Corps.

Thanks Keith, I can now start searching that name.

1 hour ago, hmsk212 said:

Hi

 

I have reported the problem to Ancestry who admit that there is a fault with the search facility if searching using badge number only. This only happens with B prefixed badges and has been happening for about a week now. They say they are making efforts to fix the problem but a few more gentle reminders from other customers may speed things along.

 

Steve

Thanks Steve, Glad you highlighted that Steve. I don't feel  so silly asking for help now! I'll certainly report it too.

 

Regards

 

Alan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolt968

Apologies, I have picked this thread up late.

 

There has been a problem with ancestry indexing and searches of SWB for sometime. I have had a few cases where the index produces the right man with the right SWB number but them comes up with the wrong page. In all cases, I have been lucky enough to know the SWB number and therefore been able to move backwards or forwards through the register to find the right page.

 

RM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252
7 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Apologies, I have picked this thread up late.

 

There has been a problem with ancestry indexing and searches of SWB for sometime. I have had a few cases where the index produces the right man with the right SWB number but them comes up with the wrong page. In all cases, I have been lucky enough to know the SWB number and therefore been able to move backwards or forwards through the register to find the right page. 

  

RM

I've experienced exactly the same, and it has been happening on odd records for a good length of time - Ancestry's indexing is problematic to say the least.


Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rolt968
1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

I've experienced exactly the same, and it has been happening on odd records for a good length of time - Ancestry's indexing is problematic to say the least.


Craig

I can't remember if I have reported it - probably not.

Having found the way to work round, it in some ways it is "better the devil you know". (There is a similar problem with merchant navy officers' qualification documents.)

RM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TEW

Diary searches on piece numbers as a keyword search not been working for a fortnight at least. 

TEW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...