Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwardian Britain in Colour

MikeyH

Last night on Channel 5, the closing minutes of this interesting two parter, featured

some re-coloured footage covering the lead up the Great War.  Not to the same standard

as 'They Shall Not Grow Old', but still fascinating.  Alan Johnson commented that we

considered the German army was smaller than ours and inferior in armaments, not

to sure about that!  Also the well known clip of Suffragette Emily Davison stepping in front of the King's

horse at the 1913 Derby is featured, seems even more chilling when seen in colour.

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

16 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Last night on Channel 5, the closing minutes of this interesting two parter, featured

some re-coloured footage covering the lead up the Great War.  Not to the same standard

as 'They Shall Not Grow Old', but still fascinating.  Alan Johnson commented that we

considered the German army was smaller than ours and inferior in armaments, not

to sure about that!  Also the well known clip of Suffragette Emily Davison stepping in front of the King's

horse at the 1913 Derby is featured, seems even more chilling when seen in colour.

Mike.

It was good but the continual repetition of the same film clips and the padding out with the talking heads ( some dubious ) became a bit tedious .

On a WW1 theme , seeing the clip of the King's Own marching I didn't realise that some infantry wore the leather bandoliers as well as the

cavalry / artillery etc .

Edited by Black Maria

I watched a little of it but the talking heads and their unerring right-on analysis of the world's woes put me right off.

2 hours ago, Black Maria said:

On a WW1 theme , seeing the clip of the King's Own marching I didn't realise that some infantry wore the leather bandoliers as well as the

cavalry / artillery etc .

I only found that out last year myself. Always thought it was an artillery/cavalry thing too.

'I watched a little of it but the talking heads and their unerring right-on analysis of the world's woes put me right off'.

Same here.

That chap Johnson remarked on the Siege of Sidney Street that the police did not have the weapons to deal with the situation when we were seeing a Guardsman with his SMLE, poor editing......

36 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

That chap Johnson remarked on the Siege of Sidney Street that the police did not have the weapons to deal with the situation when we were seeing a Guardsman with his SMLE, poor editing......

I don't see anything wrong with that statement as rendered above. Accounts agree that the police didn't have suitable weapons: they were armed with antique revolvers, tube rifles and shotguns more suited to a museum than a gun battle. (The besieged were better armed.) Then Winston Churchill gave permission for the army to be used and a detachment of the Scots Guards turned up with Lee Enfield s which transformed the situation. The police continued to clutch their unsuitable weapons.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

5 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

I don't

I don't see anything wrong with that statement as rendered above. Accounts agree that the police didn't have suitable weapons: they were armed with antique revolvers, tube rifles and shotguns more suited to a museum than a gun battle. (The besieged were better armed.) Then Winston Churchill gave permission for the army to be used and a detachment of the Scots Guards turned up with Lee Enfield s which transformed the situation. The police continued to clutch their unsuitable weapons.

Moonraker

It wasn't the statement that was wrong but the film we were seeing didn't tie up with the dialogue . I too noticed that mistake as well as Johnson saying that our

army was bigger and stronger than the Germans in 1914.